Mission VM-Pro volume pedal, buffers, fuzzes, etc...

charry

So, the time has come to make a new pedalboard and it seems I'm gonna be needing a buffer at the beginning of the chain. The problem is that I have 2 fuzzes that are extremely picky about buffers, a Fuzz Face and a Fuzz Probe. It's not that I'm new to this dilemma, i've had this fuzzes for a long time in a lot of pedalboards, with and without buffers. I actually have 2 AMZ "unbuffer" boxes that I normally I use with them to compensate for that, especially when I'm on my wireless. The thing is that as some of you may know, this unbuffers use a transformer and they do cause a little hum, especially with fuzzes of this kind. So, I'm on a quest to find a buffer I can place at the beginning of the chain but that has the friendly fuzz option, and I'm also searching for a volume pedal. The mission VM-Pro has the two things I need but there's not enough info about how fuzzes really behave with the fixed resistance in series of the pedal. For example, would the Fuzz Probe oscillate the way it should with the buffer and the friendly fuzz switch activated on the pedal? Would the Fuzz Face sound as big and with the full low end? Not very interested in the clean up thing, I just want the pedals to sound at least 80% how they should. The only video available of the pedal with a fuzz really doesn't say much. So, any of you guys have some kind of info about this? Have you tried the volume pedal with fuzz boxes, etc?.

Thank you very much.

tubekingsley

You're going to have to try it with your rig, no way to guess. Here's the thing, you state that it seems you will need a buffer at the beginning of the chain- I don't see why. Putting the fuzz pedals before the buffer, shouldn't be a problem at all. That Mission set at a lower impedance may be too subtle for your taste, it's not likely gonna sound the same as a typical 1M buffer, if it's set at say, 500K. I would probably like it better. How are you going to use the volume pedal? Only for volume control and muting, or for volume swells ? If you're planning on buying a new VM-Pro, buy one with a return policy. Its the only way to find out- I like the concept of the impedance switch.

Last edited:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I just recently built a board using the Mission VM Pro. I placed it post fuzz pedals (3). That is your best solution to your needs. If you are using a wireless, that's where the issues may arise. The VM Pro was set at factory settings.

tubekingsley

I just recently built a board using the Mission VM Pro. I placed it post fuzz pedals (3). That is your best solution to your needs. If you are using a wireless, that's where the issues may arise. The VM Pro was set at factory settings.
Did you ever experiment, by lowering the VM Pro impedance, to see if it is compatible running into fuzz ? Would you be willing to ? Lol

Trending Topics