mission VM1 vs Ernieball MVP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strings4v, Mar 25, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

other than being active vs passive... how do you guys think they compare?
    I have the mission one myself, but I sometimes wish the sweep range was wider....Thinking about changing it to MVP. 20db boost could come in handy as I usually put my volume pedal in the fx loop or after drive.
    watcha say?

2. strings4v

strings4v Member

3. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Interested in this too

4. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Can't speak to the Mission VM1, but I graduated from the EB Jr (passive) to the MVP based on the suggestion of a trusted colleague. Great pedal, the MVP. Plenty of gain available if you want to push the front of your amp hard. No high end loss either. I am a happy guy with the MVP.

5. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I bought VM1 but will be returning. I don't like the sweep - both how fast it goes from zero to near fully (seems like it gets to near full well before half the pedal distance), and also just the physical feeling of the pedal seems more constrained than an ernie ball, or even like a roland EV expression pedal.

6. strings4v

strings4v Member

Is there a way I can turn my VM1 into an expression pedal with a 25K pot?

7. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

You should be able to rewire any passive volume pedal into an expression pedal. Change the output jack to stereo (if necessary) then run wires from the pot, with the center (wiper) going to the tip connection of the jack, and the ends of the pot to the other 2 lugs of the jack. If it sweeps backwards to what you like, switch the end wires of the pot to reverse the action.

The Mission VM-Pro is an active volume pedal and also comes in a version that adds up to 15dB of boost (V-Boost pedal).

regards, Jack

8. lebihanj

lebihanj Member

Hi - The Mission VM-1 is a passive volume pedal. It is designed to be used as a volume pedal first in the chain with passive guitar pickups. The VM-1 utilizes a 500K log pot. It has a more 'traditional' volume pedal style sweep where not much happens at the beginning and more happens at the end.

The Mission VM-PRO is an active volume pedal, it is designed to be used anywhere in the signal chain and with any instrument, not just guitar. VM-PRO has a slightly different taper where a little more of the sweep happens at the beginning. This is designed to overcome the problem when playing with a band or in recording where the initial 50% or so of the volume pedal travel results in a volume increase too small to be heard over the rest of the audio.

In short, if you are using a passive pickup guitar and want a volume pedal for slow volume sweeps just playing solo, then a VM-1 will likely be the best choice, otherwise the VM-PRO is likely a better option.

Expression pedals normally use a linear taper potentiometer of around 10 - 50K Ohm depending on the make an model. Rewiring a volume pedal potentiometer to a TRS output jack may work but it depends on the device you are connecting it to. In many cases the value and log taper of a volume pedal pot will behave rather oddly when used as an expression pedal. You may have to replace the pot entirely. More here: http://www.effectsblog.com/?p=37

If you have a Mission branded pedal that you wish to convert from one pedal type to another, it's sometimes possible in the factory. Just contact Mission customer service at info@missionengineering.com