Mix Crossroad with Goodwood? Darkburst with Fillmore?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by circuitbreaker, Oct 3, 2005.

1. circuitbreaker

circuitbreaker Member

Anybody try mixing a Crossroads neck pickup with a Goodwood Bridge? Or maybe a Darkburst neck and a Fillmore bridge?

I have the Goodwoods and the Fillmores in a Les Paul and an SG, and really like the sound of the bridge pickup on both, but now thinking that a cleaner neck sound might work better for me, maybe something with less mids.

If anybody has mixed and matched these Wagner pickups, I'd be interested to know how it's working for you -
    thanks - cb

2. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Ive got a Fillmore bridge mixed with a Crossroads neck in my Nunis custom guitar. I love the way they sound together. They comliment each other very well. Any specifics you want to know about?

Dave

3. circuitbreaker

circuitbreaker Member

Thanks dave - just saw your other post: "...the Fillmore has a bit of a bright high end to me, and the other frequencies are pretty balanced across the board...." which makes sense to me from what I know of the Fillmore, and answered part of my question, so I guess I'm on the right track here -
    From what you say they compliment each other pretty well - so no problem with the volume balance or output going from neck to bridge ?

4. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

No problem at all with output or volume balance. I mean, of course you can hear a tonal difference between the two. I actually have another WCR bridge pickup in my PRS CU24 right now, and it even balances well with the stock PRS neck pickup. The WCR's seem to play well with others, in my experience.

The one thing I did do was raise or lower each pickup to get it just right , but Im anal like that :D

Dave

5. circuitbreaker

circuitbreaker Member

Good points.....
    Thanx for the info -

cb :cool:

6. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Crossroads neck/Darkburst bridge set that sounds real good. No balance issues at all.

This set was at the suggestion of Jim at WCR.

7. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Another CR neck + DB bridge user here. Have 'em in a non-reverse Firebird and they sound great.

Chris

8. circuitbreaker

circuitbreaker Member

Awesome....
    sounds like you can't go wrong
    thanks -
    cb

9. mockoman

mockoman Member

I've got a Goodwood in the bridge, & the stock BB1 in the neck of my 60RI LP. No balance problem at all.
    Like drjenkins sez, just adjust till you're happy.

I like what the BB does in the neck,& felt no need to replace it.

10. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I've got the Crossroads set in my LP, so obviously the neck is CR. But you're saying you want something "cleaner" than that for the neck. Can anyone compare all the WCR sets in terms of relative clean-ness (or is it cleanliness)?

11. circuitbreaker

circuitbreaker Member

Tom -
    To clarify my original post:
    Don't have the Crossroads yet -
    Actually the only sets I have right now are the Fillmores and the Goodwoods, and I was looking for something a little clearer in the neck than a Fillmore or Goodwood, and what other forum members might have experienced mixing sets.