Mix cutting solo boost to go with germanium fuzz?

Jasonmc89

I like the "fuzz" set at around 12 o'clock on my 69' mkii. Gives me a really nice dirty/gritty tone that I use for lead and with the volume on the guitar rolled back a tad for rhythm. Recently I've been using a tubescreamer after the fuzz for a solo boost. It gives me a nice volume and upper mids boost that cuts through nicely for a solo but it also smooths out my grit!

Any suggestions on a good solo boost that'll give me volume and treble/mids but will keep that dirty, untamed grit that I love?

I've been considering a treble booster, maybe a beano boost or java boost but don't know if they'll cut through enough with quite a dark sounding fuzz?

Or maybe something like the Fulltone fat boost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
As I mentioned in your other thread, Timmy and the Soul Food are excellent fuzz boosts that don't muffle the treble like a TS. They can cut some bass though, which is why they work so well. I like them

Jasonmc89

Cheers for the reply.

I will certainly look into those recommendations. I've been using the TS9 with the treble all the way up, so it is cutting enough but it takes away the fuzz magic! Just sounds like standard overdrive.. I dare not step on the TS9 without the fuzz engaged though, with the treble maxed it sounds farrrrr too shrill!

I think I must have picked up a particularly dark '69. I'm using the top boost channel on an "on the edge" Vox, so my clean tone is very sparkly and cutting.

FuzzFaceJ

Real McCoy wah, or another wah with the FoxRox buffer trimpot. Especially the RMC3 with a mids control and volume, it's what Jimi (minus the wah buffer) did and it makes a fuzz face sing.

TheGuildedAge

I agree with the timmy suggestion. I don't like my maxon od808 after the fuzz, too muddy no matter what I try. Timmy is very, wait for it, transparent, in that it sounds like the fuzz, just louder, or more gain if I want.

Liquitone

I don't like the '69 and a treble-booster on at the same time, as it all gets a bit too bright and noisy. I have both on my board and always have one of the two active, but never at the same time. (I prefer the treble-booster over the 69' for leads because it cuts better/doesn't get too fuzzy)
I really like the Wampler Plexi-drive after it. It enables me to push my germanium fuzz and treble-booster when my plexi-style amp can't be maxed out, while still getting all the clean and crunch tones with dailing back the guitar's volume. It has plenty of brightness and retains all the characteristics of the '69. I think you might like that combo.

Blind Dog

Supporting Member
My Timmy following Ge Hartman fuzz (strat / club 40) keeps the grit, as requested. The two sound so great together, I like to keep both on and just volume up and down more than anything.

Jasonmc89

Hmm, the Timmy seems to keep popping up when I talk about this.. Never really looked into them before. Maybe that'll provide the tone I'm after.

Cheers fellas!

cue311

I bought a PTD Bettaboost from Paul Trombetta to go along with my Rotobone and Tornita KS! I have run the fuzzes into a few overdrives, and this pedal seems to retain more of the gritty fuzz that I also love. It has light OD available, and it feels great, but I prefer it when the volume is up and providing a good boost.

It also works well to push up my signal when I roll off the fuzz with my volume knob. It does smooth out the signal a bit, but not as much as most other pedals I've tried.

la noise

Not a Treble Boost/Rangemaster type of guy, but have had great results with the following:

1) Klones.....

2) Graphic Equalizers with a level control....

3) EP Boosts..... which neither cut the low-end nor hump the mids too much.

4) Delay pedals with built in preamps (Belle Epoch) or with level controls (VFE Blueprint, Empress Taper Delay, EHK Memory Boy DLX).

Tim Bowen

Prescription Electronics Germ. Fantastic after a '69 when I had that fuzz. Made the '69 bigger and louder without changing the basic character and it allowed the sparkly cleanup thing at the guitar.

voorhiessa

Try dialing back on the TS' gain and upping the 69's. when I ran my fuzz-TS combo, if I had it set like you do, I heard more TS than fuzz.

Black Dog

I will have to recommend the Soul Food as well. I really like stacking the SF after my NKT Sun Face. I too have never had luck stacking a TS-9 after my germanium fuzz either, or any other overdrive for that matter. However when I got the Soul Food it seemed to be what I need. It injects some mids without altering the sound or feel of the fuzz in any other way. Really makes the fuzz stand out and cut through. Try it!

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
The LPB-1 actually does really well after a fuzz face. It mostly just boosts volume, but in a way that really suits a FF IMO. The LPB-1 is basically the fuzz face of boost pedals anyway!

That Soul Food really is an amazing fuzz boost though, Im so glad I got one!