Mixdown question for the experts.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RGB, Apr 23, 2008.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'm using a Firestudio Project with Cubase LE4 in my home "studio" and I'm wondering what the general opinion would be of the best way to mixdown. I have a Tascam DA-40 to mixdown to, but I'm wondering if the best route is to export to stereo (Wav or Aiff) in Cubase without using the DAT, or to connect the Tascam to the FP via the S/pdif connectors, using only the effects available in Cubase, but remaining in the digital realm?

I'd really like to run the 8 outputs of the FP to my board, (Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro), so I can use some of my analog, (and digital), outboard gear in the mixdown to the Tascam, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the trade off of another D/A-A/D conversion and if the Mackie is worthy of this as well.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Do it ITB, none of the effects of analog summing will outweigh the signal degradation from your converters and mixer.

The DAT machine is not really worth doing, either.

If you want to try the analog summing, just make a new track in Cubase, and loop back into it.

3. 909one

909one Member

Ditto that.
    Keep it in the box for sure.

4. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not sure what ITB stands for and I did try to loop a track through an outboard processor and then back into the FP, but I was getting a feedback loop....not really sure what you mean by analog summing either.

I'm very new to this stuff, and unfortunately don't know the correct terminology for many of the things I want to do. I guess I'm lucky that I've been able to get the tracks recorded that I have.

Thanks very much for the help, though!

5. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

ITB= "In the box" meaning you don't route your audio into the analog domain once it's captured in the daw. You would just apply plug-ins and mixdown internally.

Before I say go ITB--what sort of outboard effects are you wanting to use?

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I have a TC Helicon Voiceprism that I'd like to use. All of my other gear is really live sound stuff, mostly Rane, (DC24's, EQ's, etc.), nothing high end to be sure. The TC has an s/pdif output. Actually, that was the unit that I tried using, running the send from channel 3 on the FP to the TC and then returning it on one side of the s/pdif input. I tried to make sure that it wasn't looping back through the Stereo Outs, but I don't really have the routing technique figured out yet and it appears that it was.

Guess I got a lot of work to do, huh? :D

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Maybe I'm too green to help? Again, sorry if these questions are painfully obvious to you guys in the industry, but I need to start somewhere.

Maybe I'll check out the "Interactive Guide to Home Recording" in loudboy's sig.

Thanks for the effort anyway, guys.

8. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

I'm just not familiar w/ your interface, and quite a few of these things have proprietary mixing software that can be confusing.

You're going to have clocking issues trying to run the Voiceprism digitally--it would have to be the master clock and that doesn't usually work well.

I would run it analog--at least initially--to become familiar w/ the routing of your setup. Just pick a couple of outputs in your DAW track--say 1,2 or 3,4 etc. send the signal of the track out, and return it on another--setting the input of that track to correspond w/ the output of the original track. You should then be able to monitor the return track and hear the effects.

It's a starting point.

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Ah, maybe it was the clock that was screwing it up. I set the clock to s/pdif in the FP's control panel, but I suppose the TC wasn't reading it.

Probably doesn't help that I'm using a Mac either.....when it comes to asking for help, anyway!

Thanks, I'll try it as you suggest. Sure do appreciate the help!

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Thanks for the help, Cass. I tried it using the analog I/O and it really worked quite well.....figured out where the loop was being generated too, (I'm such an idiot)!:rolleyes:

Now I just have to figure out the best method for mixdown. I know that just exporting will work, but I'd like to be able to mix live during the process.

I really should read the Cubase manual, I guess!

Thanks again for the helping out a noob!

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

Seach the manual for "automation."

12. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, LB!

Will do.

13. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Glad to help. You'll have to print that track in real time to your DAW (I'm guessing), adjust for latency if that's an issue, then you can bounce any way you want.

This stuff does get easier ;-)

14. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Seems pretty intimidating about now.....but I'll take your word for it!:D

Thanks again!

15. ted01

ted01 Member

Have faith, RGB. For starters, Cubase ain't just a toy. It took me weeks WITH the manual to figure out what I thought were simple things. My first experience with a DAW and it took awhile. Particularly for me, coming from old school. I worked in the analog domain 20 years ago, left for a while and then jumped whole hog into a DAW.

If you are just getting started learning Cubase, you may want to just give a test drive with Reaper (www.reaper.fm). I did and switched. It's not that Reaper is simpler to run, you'll still have to read the manual, but for me, it seemed somewhat more intuitive, and you can't beat the price.

16. bigroy

bigroy Member

I would also suggest looking at Reaper. Not simple, but perhaps better?
    That being said, I still fall back on my old Yamaha AW16G. Not because it is simpler (spent a lot of time with the manual), but because I'm really comfortable with it.

The learning curve with digital is a lot tougher than the old knobs and faders technology, but once you get the hang of it, you won't look back.

17. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Reaper looks very interesting, but are you guys using it on a Mac? The Mac version doesn't appear to be ready....not even in beta yet, according to the site, but if you're having success with the pre-release, I'd like to give it a try! The Asio performance with Cubase isn't great on my machine. Maybe Reaper would be a little less bloated and use less CPU?