Mixer for pyschotic rack rig

NAJ

It's listed here http://www.rjmmusic.com/mastermind-pbc-6x/ - it's sold out like a lot of their stuff at the moment.

No mixer in this though as stated here:

"Why is there no line mixer or parallel capability in the PBC/6X?
The primary goal was to have a smaller, less expensive PBC. Adding an internal line mixer would interfere with both of those goals. You can use our Mini Line Mixer in conjunction with the PBC/6X to get up to three loops in parallel. This will give you full time parallel routing for the loops connected to the mixer."

rustolium

Where is info on this? I just looked at the official RJM site; has the new matrix switcher not yet been released?
@NAJ answered. It looks like a cool unit, I haven’t used it yet, but I have an original PBC unit and it’s great. Ron could move that concept to a rack unit with more capacity for sure. His software work is good too.

ctreitzell

thanks guys!
I was looking at it, yet assumed it was a "just" a fc
It's a lot more like Effects/Rack Gizmo
I have an RG-16

and so, this PBC is $900US?
I think I'd go Switchblade for that price... Also customers need to order it...I mean...ok, that's alright
Also, I'd prefer the cables in a rack...not on a pb

NAJ

For the RJM rack gizmo it can be ordered with all stereo loops, but the inputs / outputs and all the send / returns for the loops require the use of a Y cable for connecting everything in stereo. Does this make anyone a bit hesitant or is it perfectly fine as long as the cables you use are high quality?

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
I have heard (from a horses mouth) that there is a new updated switchblade GL in the works. To which I returned a list of hair-brained thoughts to add. :)

Let's cross our collective fingers it does improve. To be fair the SB is old. However, it has never let me down. It is one of the most bullet proof well built devices I have seen. I have no problem working around it's limitations. I, like you, would be happy to see a updated version.

I disagree that there is not a market for matrix switchers. The problem is most folks don't understand what it even is and it is difficult to work with (complex). RJM just released their first recently and I suspect we'll see a rack version. Once you use a matrix you don't want to go back.
+1, been waiting for an improved/updated true pro line level Switchblade GL for years.
There was the "Studio" version earlier on, but those were discontinued and are very rare, never saw one for sale.
I even remember contacting Ken a few years ago to share my interest and ask if there was any chance it could be a future new product, he said it was not on the priority list at the time. Hopefully we'll see one some day.

rustolium

For the RJM rack gizmo it can be ordered with all stereo loops, but the inputs / outputs and all the send / returns for the loops require the use of a Y cable for connecting everything in stereo. Does this make anyone a bit hesitant or is it perfectly fine as long as the cables you use are high quality?
I do this all the time in different situations and have no issues or concerns. Use decent cable and you will be fine. The assumption is you are likely running buffered signal this way, but short runs would still not be an issue IMO. You would end up buffering toward the end of the chain anyway.

jb4674

@NAJ answered. It looks like a cool unit, I haven’t used it yet, but I have an original PBC unit and it’s great. Ron could move that concept to a rack unit with more capacity for sure. His software work is good too.
I asked Ron that question and he told me they weren't going that route. Ron additionally said the way the new pbc works is not like the switchblade in some regards. Ron is a great guy but the matrix thing isn't his area of expertise.

jb4674

I do this all the time in different situations and have no issues or concerns. Use decent cable and you will be fine. The assumption is you are likely running buffered signal this way, but short runs would still not be an issue IMO. You would end up buffering toward the end of the chain anyway.
I agree. In a rack it won't matter much because your cable length won't be long.

Hijacking this thread as I feel I'm in a very similar seat. I've just moved on to rack as an attempt to grow up after being an avid pedaler and part-time software user. Big fan of the idea of using a pro-sumer studio desk for interfacing. I have a big issue about this though: all sends are mono. Most my stereo units are stereo in but the sends on a commercial mixer are mono. Kinda ruins the fun of running stuff into each other if you still gotta sum to mono instead of having wide stereo feedback loops. Also my Lexicon Vortex unit has alot of algos made for a stereo source.

Obviously you could use two sends but then you have halved the amount of parallel routing options. I know Shure made a unit that adressed this but I have yet to see one for sale. Surely there is probably some routing too clever for my reptilian brain that would solve this issue. However, even if wizardry is possible the convenience of a single stereo aux would be a pleasure.

Also: first post, hello :)

Trending Topics