Mixer signal routing question(s)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by denmalley, May 29, 2015.

1. denmalley

denmalley Supporting Member

I have a question about using FX/aux buses, and monitoring.

So I have been shopping almost obsessively for a mixer about two weeks now. I am looking for something in the sub-$500 range (hopefully more like sub-$400). This will be used mainly by me as a one-man-with-looper type of live setup. Multiple instruments, one looper, using an aux send to get the right mix to the looper and then output to either a return if so equipped or a channel if not. I also want it to have built-in effects so that I can add a little reverb/delay to channels as needed. I'll also need a good monitor feed, anyone who has played with a looper knows how important this is.

Most of the mixers I'm seeing in this category basically have an "FX bus" and a prefader aux bus. They are usually equipped with an FX send, but I'm guessing if I were to use that as my looper send, it would either mean that a) the looper signal and amount of effects would always be "joined" i.e., more reverb also turns up that instrument in the loop mix or b) using the fx send cuts off the internal effects. If I use the prefader aux bus, now I don't have an adjustable monitoring system. Do I have that right?

So all that leads me to - I have to get a more expensive mixer, because none of the cheaper ones (except maybe the crap brands) come with more than these two aux sends. I have seen praise after praise raised for the zed series but even a zed60-14FX can't meet my needs.

I guess what I'm hoping to find out here is, is there another signal routing option I'm not thinking of that would allow me to not have to automatically eliminate any mixer with less than three aux buses (built in FX, looper send, monitor send)?

2. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

"even a zed60-14FX can't meet my need"

IIRC, the Zed 14 with the 100 mm. faders has two more fx sends or aux.'s.
    Looks like they used the same chassis for the zed 12 fx and the zed 14. it's called the 2 bus series.

3. lschwart

lschwart Member

The ZED12fx has two aux sends.

So does the Soundcraft MFXi8. And so does their new, and cheaper, Signature 10 mixer (and the 12 MTK in that line includes the added bonus of a multitrack USB send).

FWIW I've been using the MFXi12 for my band for a few years now, and I've been very pleased with it.

Louis

4. denmalley

denmalley Supporting Member

Thanks! I actually was back at it with my obsessive shopping and found that the MFXi8 is on sale at PSSL for $350! I snagged one up! Going to post a PSA thread...

Last edited: May 29, 2015