Mixing 6v6's and 6L6's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Tommy_G, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I was reading somewhere that one Mark IV user puts 6v6's as the outside pair, and 6L6's as the inside pair, and so when he's in the 50W (half power) mode, only the 6v6's sound, and in the full power mode they all sound, although most of the power comes from the 6L6's.

Is this theoretically ok for most power amp circuits on boogies, or is there something unique about his Mark IV - simulclass or something ?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    ...unless the amp was designed for it.

Simulclass amps are designed for 2 different types of power tubes. Check the information for the Mark IV. This definitely isn't something you should do in just any amp.

3. mike80

mike80 Member

The Mark IVs are simulclass, with the outer sockets meant for either 6L6s or EL34s in class A, and the inners meant for just 6L6s in class AB. Not all Boogies can run like that, but there are a few that can. Some Marks IIs and IIIs can, I think the Road King has simulclass, and there are several other Boogies that can. I think though, most Boogie amps are either class A or AB.

Like Blue Strat said, it's not something you would want to try on just any amp, unless you have the money to fork out for repairs.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Since EL34s and 6V6s bias in the same range, I can see why swapping in 6V6's might work. I don't doubt that it will work for a little while, lots of disastrous things do.

I would want to know the plate voltage for those sockets before I'd give the "OK".

5. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I have tried this, and it's works well - IMO the 6V6's in tweed mode on MKIV give the amp a warmer softer tone.