• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mixing Articles?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Any good, and simple, articles about using compression and limiting on the mix down of a rock song?

tribedescribe

Classic mix bus settings can be found in the video below. Typically you would use a ssl mix bus comp variant or plugin clone. For rock many people also use a focusrite red 3 plugin type but mostly use the same setting below. I use slate vbc which has some great presets for mix bus and 3 different bus comps. What are you using?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Read this now. Thank me later.
Sorry, I’m not into reading pages and pages no matter how much it’s supposed to help me. I know I can easily read a book on the subject to learn, but I have other priorities with my time. I’d like to read maybe 1 page or watch a 5 min video to get my technique better (I don’t need it to be optimized).

tribedescribe

Ok I think I read your post wrong.(too early in morning) Are you looking for advice on compressing individually tracks or mix bus comp?

To put it in simple terms people using a compressor/limiter for two reasons for dynamic control and for tone/color Most people totally miss the latter which is an important tool for shaping the sound of your drums, bass and guitars. There is no simple way to explain this as it can years of experience to master. In addition to the two reason above there is attack and release to consider, which helps shape the length and attack(sharpness) of a note. This become really important when dealing with snare, toms, kick and bass guitars. My best advice is get some lessons online or find someone to teach you.

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
Read this now. Thank me later.
THIS article is a MUST read IMO. Even if you just sift through it for the points you are interested in. If you look at my studio you can tell I didn’t listen to the first section lol

I also highly recommend Bob Owsinski’s The Mixing Engineers Handbook
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook: Fourth Edition

Billinder33

If you feel like you absolutely 'need' compression/limiting on a mix buss, you probably need to work on your mix technique... which means you WILL need "pages and pages of reading". And elbow grease.

Also, never use a limiter on a mix buss unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

kiki_90291

Any good, and simple, articles about using compression and limiting on the mix down of a rock song?
Look up Joe Gilder on Youtube - I find his videos pretty useful. Also Groove3, although you have to pay to access to all of their content.

hw2nw

Silver Supporting Member
Forget the haters. Go for a little glue on the buss. Look up videos on YouTube from Ken Andrews and Eric Valentine to see how they’re tying things up. Ken uses a simple SSL and Eric was using something on just the instruments last I saw.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
jeezus it's not putting a man on the moon. Insert the ssl comp on your master buss. set it to a 2:1 ratio. medium attack, auto release. dial in the threshold so that you compression of the hardest transients is around 3db. Use the bypass button to listen to the A/B and tweak. Don't crush the mix. If your average volume is too low, you need to remix. Gain staging is sooooo important and so many newer engineers ignore it. The compressor is there to tighten up your mix, not make it 10db louder. If you use it as a sonic tool instead of a loudness tool you'll get it faster.

Trending Topics