Mixing brands - Mains and Subs - good idea?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Seektone, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Seektone

Seektone Member

Hi guys - I just bought 2 EV elx112ps which sound really great. Warm, punchy, loud and detailed. I know we could get more out of them with some subs and I really only want one sub to carry, plus I'm on a budget. Considering that having one sub to each top would probably be balanced as designed, I was considering going with a JBL PRX718s, which has more power and goes deeper, thinking I could get away with one sub and have a nice balanced system.

Is this a good idea??? I can get a PRX718s for a very good price it seems.

Thanks for the help oh wise ones!

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

There's no reason why that would not work. Many systems I've seen and run over the years, from pro touring systems all the way down to garage band systems, have some mixture of speakers from different makers. I don't have experience with the particular JBL sub you're talking about, but in general there's no reason why speakers from different makers won't play nicely together.

3. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

there's no good reason that this can't be done.
    i'd listen to the jbl's vs. the ev subs that match your tops, and don't pay much attention to the spec sheets.

4. Seektone

Seektone Member

Sadly I don't think I can listen to the JBL's as they are discountinued. ??? I think the replacement was the PRX618P-xlf. I might be able to track one of those down. The thing is, I can get one of the 718p's for only $200 more than one elx118p.

On specs, it looks like the JBL has a deeper sub-bass freq. and more power at 700 watts RMS. Wondering whether I should I believe that.

5. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I'd audition first... I had the elx112Ps with a single elx118P and it did nicely... The EV sub delivers well. I would not expect the PRX sub to out perform it. The EVs mate very nice.

6. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

can you post the specs of the two speakers? the specs generally don't hold much merit. readings are taken at different distances, etc... trust your ears, not the spec sheet....but if you can't find the speaker to listen to, it makes this a bit more difficult. :)

7. Seektone

Seektone Member

Specs for JBL PRX718s:

Frequency Range (-10 dB): 33 Hz – 160 Hz
    Frequency Response (±3 dB): 37 Hz – 130 Hz
    Crossover Modes: DSP controlled 24 dB/Oct. filter slope
    Crossover Frequency: 120 Hz
    System Power Rating: 700 W contiuous, 1400 W peak
    133 dB peak

Specs for EV ELX118P:

Power Rating 700 W
    Speaker Type Subwoofer
    Woofer Size 457.2 mm (18")
    Frequency Response (-3 dB) 36 - 210 Hz
    Frequency Response (-10 dB) 32 - 130 Hz
    Internal Crossover Yes
    Sensitivity 1 W/1 m 100 dB
    Max. SPL/1m (calc) 125 dB
    LF Transducer (1) EVS-18K, 457mm (18") Woofer
    HF Transducer N/A
    Crossover Frequency 100 Hz

I'm guessing that the lower SPL on the EV is due to the smaller amp? Although these specs get confusing when not everything is listed as RMS.

Also I guess I was wrong about the lower freq. range of the JBL. Sorry about that-

8. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

on paper, they are pretty close. don't worry about the 33Hz vs. 32Hz (both measured at -10db). the crossover point of the jbl's is 120Hz, vs. 100Hz for the ev's. 120Hz, to me, is a more reasonable point. again, i'd suggest listening and not looking at these numbers. i can't seem to find the prx series current pricing (discontinued, perhaps?), but i can tell you that the ev's map price is $799, and dealer cost is more like $530 (apx.), and the cost of the jbl's in '09 was map $1299, and dealer $940 (apx.). big difference in pricing for two speakers that spec vs. spec match up fairly closely.

9. modulusman

modulusman Member

What about the diference in SPL? The JBL supposedly is 133 max compared to the 125 for the EV. If this is true the JBL would be almost twice as loud. If I was only using one sub this could be a deciding factor.

10. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

well, since JBL doesn't list where they are taking the measurement to get their reading of 133db, and EV listed theirs as 1m, it's impossible to do a true comparison on paper. that's exactly what i mean by use your ears, not the specs.

11. 335guy

335guy Member

I'd give the edge to the JBL over the EV in terms of overall volume. It maybe that because of the DSP used in the JBL, they are able to get more sound and speaker extension from their 18". But neither will give you gobs of chest thumping lows at high volume levels. You would need more speaker and more power for that. But IMHO, either would work nicely in a small to moderate venue where a band wanted to re-enforce the kick drum and bass guitar a bit. Plus take some of the low duty off the upper cabs.

12. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i have a set of older powered JBL 18" bottoms (MPro's, I think) that we rent out to DJ's and for small PA systems, and clients love them. they get the job done, but i'm spoiled when it comes to speakers, and can't say that i love them. but, again, they get the job done, and they weren't a fortune.

13. modulusman

modulusman Member

I wonder where the OP got his specs from. This is what is listed at musicians friend.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...-x-series-active-18-subwoofer/h70838000000000

14. Seektone

Seektone Member

I'm not by my computer to check my history but I'm pretty sure I took those from their respective manufacturer's sites. Interesting to see the spl difference on musician's friend though. I can't seem to get full specs on my iPhone off of electro voice. Can anybody else confirm this?

15. modulusman

modulusman Member

I went to the ev website and it showed the specs you listed.

16. Seektone

Seektone Member

hmmm...where's Musician's friend getting their data?

17. modulusman

modulusman Member

Well they probably had to make up a higher number since the competion all have subs in the 130 db range. Rokpunk is right, let your ears be the judge. I suspect that the JBL is a better sub though.

18. Seektone

Seektone Member

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the JBL and see how it goes. Thanks for the help guys-

19. Seektone

Seektone Member

Update: I bought the PRX718s on Ebay. After 7 days and no shipment (with me asking a few times) they told me that they were actually out of stock when they sold it to me. Then they offered to sell me a brand new with warranty JBL PRX618s-xlf instead for the same amount (<$900). Bingo! Good solution.

Only had it up and running for an hour or so with the ELX112ps, but it really brought a ton of power, richness, and volume to the setup. Great match. Interestingly, I have to run the phase in reverse on the sub to match the tops. Plenty of bass coming out of that one sub for the two tops. Plenty.

20. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

you top is probably wired backwards.