Mixing Cap Brands

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by guiltless, Aug 12, 2008.

1. guiltless

guiltless Member

So I am about to build a Lightning Clone and I have a small issue. Coming off of pin 1 of the first 12ax7 from the inputs is a 1200pf cap (on some schematics it's a 1500pf). I want to do the whole thing with Sozo Premiums but they don't make this value. The only quality cap I can find in this value is an Orange Drop. So I am thinking an Orange Drop PS6 series but I am just not sure. And I am having a tough time thinking about whether or not 1200pf and 1500pf will have much of a sound difference.

I know it's probably a dumb question but will I have any negative effects sonically from using 2 different types of caps?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

there would be differences obviously.. but probably not enough to make a difference to your ears. I would just stick with the 1200pf and call it good..

3. brad347

brad347 Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Without seeing a schematic it's hard to know exactly what the function of that cap is, but just use the orange drop.

4. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

You can try a 1000pf Sozo and put a 250pf to 500pf silver mica cap in parallel with it to achieve the specified value (or a value close enough).

Different caps can balance the sound in a certain direction, and some designers use different caps on purpose. Technically this is OK, the only question is whether or not you like it. Your ears decide.

5. guiltless

guiltless Member

I think I may end up gonig the PS6, though I want to read up a little more about the Sozo and Silver Mica idea a little more. What sonic difference do you think it would create?

6. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Difficult to say without direct comparison. I would guess that the Sozo/silver mica combination has more attack and a more defined bass compared to the OD PS6.

7. brad347

brad347 Member

I doubt a single cap like that will make an audible difference at all, even back-to-back A/B. Cap changes tend to be most audible when it's a wholesale replacement throughout an amp, in my experience. Everything else is subtle to the point of virtual inaudibility (and I'm pretty picky about stuff).

Just use whatever, you'll be fine. If you want it to look like all the others in the amp, use the sozo in parallel with the silver mica.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Twenty bucks sez you won't hear the difference no matter what the cap.

9. brad347

brad347 Member

for just a single small-value cap, whose function in the circuit has still not been clarified, I'm inclined to agree with doctorx.

10. dave s

dave s Member

Could have sworn your post topic was:

Mixing Crap Bands

LOL!

dave

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

I'll double it, make it forty.

12. guiltless

guiltless Member

That is more than likely the case.