Mixing Ceramic & Alnico Spkrs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stephenT, Nov 26, 2005.

1. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Anyone here tried this? Any benefits tone wise?

I'm thinking the ceramic would be great for bottom and mid growl, the alnico would do the high end better?

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Well, a Celestion Alnico Blue and a Celestion Ceramic G12H30 are a massively popular combination for just that reason, the alnico compresses in the highs more, making them sweeter and less harsh while the G12H30 provides a nice firm lowend and more aggressive mids and highs. GREAT combination.

-TJK

C-4 and Krausewitz like this.
  3. el34power

el34power Member

Great success with two grennbacks and two red fangs:dude

4. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I love the G12H30 + Red Fang combo.

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I have a Tone Tubby AlNiCo and Ceramic in my Two Rock cab, and it is an excellent combination.

6. Brick

Brick Member

I have a Red Fang and a Cannabis Rex in my new Avatar Premier 2x12 cab. I had a jam over the weekend and got great compliments on the amp/cab sound. That mix is the perfect sound for me, big lows and nice chime.

7. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I do this in a three of my amps. Two of them are 2x10s and one is a 2x12.

In these amps, particularly the 2x10 critters, two alnico speakers yielded a good tone, but was not loud enough and was too compressed sounding. Two ceramic speakers didn't give me enough breakup. The combination of alnico and ceramic turned out to be the perfect match. I get a strong, fairly clean bottom end, with terrific breakup, and even a slight bit of compression on the top end.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Alessandro G12 + Celestion Blue = :dude

9. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

I have a Weber Alnico Blue Dog and a Celestion Greenback RI in my 2x12 cab. I really like the mix. The Weber is very "clear" and sweet, the Greenback is great for crunch.
    Maybe one day I will try to mix the Weber with a GH30 for more tight bass response.

10. stephenT

thanks all, i'm bringing in my Goodsell 22 Delux 2x12 today for some tweeking and having Richard replace one of the Private Jacks (nice spkr) with a red fang. I'll let you'all know.

11. mojowrkn

mojowrkn Member

I think it sounds like a killer idea. I am interested in trying a Red Fang and a Texas Heat together.

The descriptions and what i have read about them makes me think it would work but I am worried about the difference in dB rating and to a lesser degree the wattage.

12. Roe

Roe Member

c1230-55 + celestion alnico blue!

13. Nathan

Nathan Member

I sort of stumbled on the combination of a Weber C10S and a P10R a couple of years ago, they were just the best sounding of the 10" I tried, so they stayed that way. Recently, I got a Fane alnico 12 to pair up with my Fane Studio 12L (alot like the EVM) so now I have 2 cabs with ceramic and alnico mixed. My Allen tonesavor was not really usable for cranked overdriven tones with 6L6's before but I recently had KT66's installed and this new speaker, and it sounds amazing. (however I can't tell if it's the alnico or the tubes which are making the big difference)

14. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Member

I'm using an Emi Red Fang and a Governor together in a K212 cab with my Knucklehead Reverb. They sound great together. I can differentiate the two but still they blend nicely. I plan to try a Wizard or Tonespotter with it too. The Governor will find residence in my JCM800 4210 if I prefer one of them with the Red Fang.

I was tempted to run two Fangs but was leary of the power mismatch and am glad I did the mix.

FWIW: The Governor sounds really good in the JCM800 combo.

Peace,

JohnnyL

15. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

A Weber C1230 and a Blue Dog in a Bruno cabinet here...

The best of crunch & sparkle in the same box. The ceramic is tight, the Alnico is juicy - the highs are perfect for a strat.

16. stephenT

well, we tried a Private Jack and a Red Fang together and i hated it. Was flabby on the bottom end and small sounding, went back to (2) Private Jacks, it's love again. Not at all what I had expected in my mind's ear.

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've mixed a Weber Alnico Blue Dog with both a greenback and a G12H-30 at different times. Gives a nice complex tone. However, I find lately I prefer a pair of alnico blue dogs (no mixing) in my Kingsley 2x12 cab in either semi-open or closed back configuration.

I know people tend to frown on alnico blue dogs in closed back cabs, but there is a really nice warmth and smoothing of the top end while tightening up the bottom it seems. I'm digging it.

taco

18. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i have a red fang and a texas heat in my avatar 2x12. super combination. the texas heat is a real sleeper and a true bargain.

19. Joe Jet

Joe Jet Member

Is it possible to run a JBL K 120 with an G12H30 in a 2 x 12 cab?

20. Roe

Roe Member

+ 1
    I use a c1230-55 and a celestion alnico blue in a bogner OS open/closed back cab.