Mixing ITB questions...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dewey decibel, May 29, 2008.

1. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Hi- when mixing and getting into the red on the master is it better to turn down individual tracks or just pull down the master fader?

I've done some searches on various forums for an answer and it seems like it's a matter of preference, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Even if I have stuff grouped I find it's still a PITA to keep futzing with the individual tracks rather than just do it at the master.

Any thoughts?

2. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Turn down the individual channels.

3. dewey decibel

OK... any particular reason?

Right now I've resolved to just use the master while I'm tracking and mixing as I go, and then once I start getting further along in the mixing process (getting things bussed, grouped, etc) then bringing the master back to 0 and adjusting the track volumes. This makes more sense to me as it allows me to work quickly during the more creative parts of the process, but then in the end if there is anything lost by bringing down the master I remedy that by bringing it back up. Make sense?

4. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

If you're happy with the way your mix sounds upon settling your master @ 0dbfs, then you're cool.

It's a bad practice to lower the master fader because the attenuation reduces your bit depth (and thus dynamic range). Can you hear the difference? Maybe, maybe not. But it's best to leave it alone.

5. dewey decibel

OK- but if I bring the fader back up is the bit depth restored? Right now my monitoring chain is less than ideal anyway, I'm just trying to get into good habits.

6. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

As long as you do it before export or any mastering bus processing, you're fine.

You might check the reference level where you begin your mix--when you're finished, you'll want your peaks hitting around -6dbfs (there's some play here), so if you're peaking in the red, you're starting too hot.

7. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

:agree +1000000

mixing ITB is very different from mixing to/from tape.

with tape, you always wanted to push things to maximize signal level, and a lot of times pushing the snare, kick, etc., into the red was exactly what you wanted to do b/c peaking in the red often meant a little pleasing distortion.

it's the exact opposite with ITB.

with ITB you want to conserve headroom, which means pulling down the individual faders as well as the master, and NOT peaking in the red (or anywhere close, really). -6dbfs is about the most you want to push it.

if it's not loud enough after you've pulled down the faders, then turn up the volume on your monitors. :D

cheers,
    wade

8. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Also mix in 24 bit even though you will be going to 44.1k 16 bit that way you get the most dynamic range on the summing busses.

9. dewey decibel

Thanks, I'm hip to that and actually start with them lower. One of the first things I learned about working with digital.