Mixing P90's with H/B's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trancedental, Aug 23, 2006.

1. trancedental

trancedental Member

I've got a Epiphone Sheraton & I have a spare Gibson 57 Classic H/B pickup to go in, so I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a P90 with a Humbucker in the same guitar?

I've upgraded the wiring /pots/caps & ripped the stock pups out & installed Retrotron Nashvilles but didn't think there was much of an improvement anyway (plus just got an old Gretsch CA CG:crazy so the Nashvilles are not really needed)

I was thinking of SD Phat Cat, or similar (H/B sized) I'm looking for more of a retro sound (50's / 60's) than high gain /metal etc:

Anyone tried anything similar to this idea?

I think the 57 classic can go in the bridge or neck so a P90 could go in either?

Cheers

2. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

you can, you just won't get the hum cancel in the middle position. p90's are pretty close in output to vintage humbuckers.

3. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I just did this. I recently purchased a Les Paul Deluxe that had two Duncan P90's. I replaced the bridge P90 with a Dimarzio Tone Zone P90. It's a bucker in a soapbar format.

I love it. The neck P90 is fat as hell and I really prefer a humbucker in the bridge. I didn't change any of the volume or tone controls.

I do lean to more hard rock and old school metal tones. The Tone Zone cleans up nicely though.

4. fyler

fyler Member

my guitar has an Air Classic in the neck and a Virtual Vintage P90 (which is actually a p90 voiced soapbar humbucker in the bridge.
    [​IMG]

5. BKRMON

BKRMON Member

Yeah, I did it to my '72 Les Paul back in '81 or '82. Guitar came with P90s. I ever so slightly routed it (on my dad's drill press) to put a humbucker in the bridge. Best of both worlds. Still have it that way.

I later found out that is what Tom Scholz of Boston did to his '68 Goldtop. I think he used a Dimarzio Super Distortion. I have a SD Pearly Gates in mine.

6. DamianP

DamianP Member

My advice fwiw.

Keep a tron at the bridge and pt a P90 at the neck.
    My favourite combination for some time.

[​IMG]

,Damian.

7. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

You currently have the HB, right? It's either made for a bridge or a neck...not really interchangeable per say...bridge is wound a bit more for higher output.

You'll want to get a 'modernized' p-90 like an HD Z90 which has a higher output, going along w/ a HB a bit better...

I recommend the Z90 in the neck, HB in bridge.

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Mixing P90's is no problem. P90's are alot close to humbucker tonally than regular single coils, so unless you have an uber-hi-output bucker with a vintage P90, you should be fine (in the guitar above, all the pickups are vintage output and there are no issues going from the P90's to the Humbucker).

-Austin

9. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

I tried that combo and did not like it.
    I would go with (2) lollar p90s
    he can wind the bridge very fat sounding for you

or get a pair of his "low wind" imperials if you want to stay with humbuckers

you may like to mix them - I did not

10. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

we built a P90HB (for a humbucker route) in alnico III to go w/ a regular alnico V HB (both Haeussels) in a 175. Guy did Zappa and trad jazz as well.
    He sure was happy w/ the result and the tonal freedom that this particular combo yielded.
    RE. the mid position: depending on how the guitar and the neck pup are wired, you still do get the "noiseless" effect when both p.ups are combined.
    So go for it!

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

JJ

11. trancedental

trancedental Member

Thanks for the replies!

Still not sure where to put a P90 bridge or neck, usually I don't use bridge pickups alone, & play neck or both pickups so I'll try the Gibson 57 Classic H/B (can be used in both positions)in the bridge first & then the neck before I get a P90.

Seems like a few on here like the combination mostly with the H/B in the bridge !

I've got a pair of GFS Retrotron Nashvilles in there at the moment which replaced the originals, the Retrotrons are better than the stock pickups OK for the price (not as good as the more expensive pups IMO)but since then I've bought the 67 Gretsch Country Gentleman with filtertrons so I thought I'd put some different pups H/B / P90s back into the Epi Sheraton?

12. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Heard nothing but nice muzik from thinlines / hollowbodies w/ P90s in humbucker frames.
    Way to go IMHO.
    And in any case, the world is already so full of humbuckers so you might just balance the Cosmic Ledger by givin P90s some luv' :)

JJ