Mixing question regarding HP filters in Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by coldwaternights, Dec 7, 2016.

1. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

i get email newsletters from the recording revolution about mixing tips.

he always mentions applying a high pass filter on most instruments around 230hz i believe to cut out unwanted frequencies and mud.

anyway, Logic Pro X doesn't have a high pass filter plug in that i can find.

any suggestions? or maybe i'm an idiot.

thanks.

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It's right there in the channel EQ, just that it's called low cut, which is the same.. :)

coldwaternights likes this.
  3. mixsit

mixsit Member

That's a pretty aggressive number to toss out -as anything near a 'rule of thumb..
    But, no adjustable HP filter in a DAW..? Seems odd.
    You can use a low shelf -assuming adjustable again, in place of a HP with similar results. (But then, hope you're not loosing your otherwise low control?

4. ronzie

ronzie Member

Does he tell you what slope to use? And how much per octave? 230hz? Most instruments? His keyboard and mouse should get a years time out for letting him type that s**t.

Filters are omitted (dubiously) from Logic. Do what Blix mentioned. Use a gentle slope (Butterworth,Bessel) unless your'e repairing or being creative in the production. If you're having to filter that heavily across the board, somebody f***ed up.

5. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

Hey...yeah I don't know about 230 Hz. A bit high for sure. This video (and series) from this guy on YT will help you out immensely IMHO. He has a whole other play list on his channel for Logic X tutorials that is phenomenal.

6. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

yeah i know the Channel EQ has some presets and they have 30hz low cut, a 50, and a 60.
    you think that will do the job?

as someone else mentioned in this thread, it IS odd that Logic doesn't come with any filters.
    i recently purchased Alloy 2 from Izotope, i haven't dived into it yet though.........if there are any useful EQ tricks in there, let me know, haha.

Despite my idiotic question i think i'm actually getting good with mixing somewhat, there are just certain things i don't understand in regards to tech terms and such.

thanks to everyone that replied, i could use more advice if anyone has any.
    i've watched youtube videos, i'll check that one out that was posted, i just don't have much patience for them, too much talking, haha.

7. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

this is the video where i got this advice:

opinions?

8. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I watched the video. The guy is not saying to apply a HP filter at 230hz on all tracks. He's demonstrating a method he uses to determine what frequency works. On the track he selected the guitar wasnt playing anything lower then 230hz so he dumped everything below that frequency. It did work in that example and it did clean up that track.

Apply that method to all your tracks and the results would be a cleaner mix...

9. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

What do you mean Logic doesn't come with any filters? Logic doesn't have a stock Parametric EQ plugin??

10. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

fair enough.

i still can't find a filter to do that in Logic.

11. mixsit

mixsit Member

Here's another way to look at 'how much, how high', eq in general.
    If it 'doesn't have content' down there, you may not need to do anything.. or certainly not a 'guide as to how high to cut' or something to 'fix.
    There's few 'typical target ideas at work here -with some overlap;
    - 'put one on all the tracks just in case'.
    - 'dial out (known) unwanted content.
    - 'shape tracks for the tone balance specifically for their roll in the mix -as you would any eq.
    Sometime we've recorded our tracks already prepared' for their roll in the mix. I.e., right mic, right distance, low cut on at the mic or pre so...
    One last- a general one. Two dif songs similar 'guitars let's say. One is a sparse' mix.. (or just the sparse section of one song). The guitars get to be big and thick. One dense, way more competition for the available space. This one gets your 'HP or Low Shelf '@ 150, 200 etc etc. :>)

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It's in the standard channel eq. Open it and switch the view to controls instead of the graphic view and you'll see it.

13. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

230Hz is pretty high for many instruments, 100Hz should be fine, but not on the ones you want there like kicks and sub-bass elements. As mentioned, standard EQ has it. You could even use the default AU high pass filter that is available.

14. mixsit

mixsit Member

Yeah. The guitar began to thin out well bellow that final freq.
    Again.. context. In a real dense mix, fine. In another context.. he just rendered your guitar Sensimilla'..

Ed DeGenaro likes this.
  15. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

thanks for all the advice, everyone.
    i sincerely appreciate it. Mixing is a constant learning experience and remains elusive to my short attention span, haha.

if anyone wants to critique the mix of a new song of mine, PLEASE feel free.
    FYI it's an electronic/indie rock track so it may not appeal to everyone. Kinda a radiohead vibe i guess:

jrw32 likes this.
  16. superpotato_30

superpotato_30 Member

Very interesting combination of sounds, I must say. Good compositional ideas and very experimental. What I'd suggest to do though, is look at mix separation techniques more extensively. When the guitar panned left comes in for instance, you could lower the dynamics/volume of the synth just so that the music can breathe a little more. The reverb of the guitar also seems to be interfering with the synth. The frequency "issue" with this mix lies around the + - 100Hz area (lower mids) from what I'm hearing.

This is a nice track that can sound a little too one dimensional without dynamic play involved, but if that's the arrangement you're going for, then you've more or less nailed it.

17. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

hey, thank you so much for taking the time to listen.
    i'm getting better with panning and automation i think but the mix in that song is certainly far from flawless.
    honestly i just go by my ears and also reference professional songs that have a similar feel.
    the song is done and released but your advice is helpful and i'll apply it to future songs.
    how can you tell the frequency issue is around the 100hz area? how exactly would i go about correcting that?

thanks again, man.

18. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

So the lowest note was a sharp 2nd fret/g string A note... I'm gonna watch this.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

That video is something else, no wonder some of these online instructors are the butt of many jokes from guys who do this for real.

Anyways here's the thing the E string on a guitar is 80 some Hz, keep that in mind when tossing out frequencies for clean up work. But before you do make sure that there an issue. Making tweaks cause someone else says makes no sense.
    As George Martin says all you need is ears. I'll add... The rest in audio you can suss out with logic.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    jmoose likes this.
  20. superpotato_30

superpotato_30 Member

Check the wave form of your guitars and your synths individually using either a spectrum analyzer or a graphic EQ and both these instruments (or more depending on how many layers you've got together). You'll realise the 100hz region (which is where the higher bass frequencies and lower treble frequencies sort of meet) is rather cluttered. The rest would be in the ear :).

Cheers.