• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mixing Scumbacks

ukslinger

I've got some 65watt m75's in a 2x12. I'm thinking of transferring them to a 4x12. I'll probably be mixing them with some v30's but I've also got some gt75's lying around.

Would the scumbacks work with either of these? Other suggestions welcome.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
They'll improve either.
I'd use them with the V30's. Probably warm the cab up nicely and off set some of that mid spike the V30 has.

Dave

I agree with Mike. Never tried the mix myself, but I do have experience with both speakers. The M75s have sweet midrange and are smooth while the V30s have that upper mid bite and more low end. Should be a great combination, although a G12H-type/M75 mix would be my personal choice.

ukslinger

Thanks for the help. I'll probably go with the v30's. But I'm also wondering how the the celestion g12h30's would pair. Never tried that speaker but it seems like it would work well, too.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
G12H30s will pair fine.
Not as nice sounding as Jim's H30's though.

Buckeyedog

They would work ok tonewise with G12H-30's, but they would likely overpower the M's quite a bit due to the around 97 db for the M's and prob over 100 db for the Celestion H's. That's why many go with the Scummy H's.........lower db rating for a better balance with the M.

ukslinger

Would I have the same overpowering issues using the v30's? Thats my biggest worry. I've never mixed speakers before but I think this will be a good combo if the balance is there.

I'm also hoping the scumbacks will do a little better in a closed back 4x12. They're a little boomy in my current cab but I know its not all on the speakers.

meterman

I've got an H75/M75 mix in a closed back cab that sounds amazing, and an H55 mixed with a Vintage30 in an open back that really works well too. I normally don't care for V30s much but for some reason it matched up great with the H55 and I actually preferred it to the H55 mixed with a 70th Ann G12H-30, which was my favorite speaker prior to getting the Scumbacks.

Top Bottom