Mixing speaker impedances for 2 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by prorenzo, Mar 24, 2015.

1. prorenzo

prorenzo Member

Hello everyone!

Right now, I have a Vox cab and an Orange cab, both are 16 ohms, and they are both plugged into their matched impedance outputs.

Although my Vox houses a celestion g12m which is of lower efficiency than the v30 in my orange cab, my Vox is an open back cab and sitting on top of my orange cab.
    This makes it seem like my vox cab is louder than my orange. I also have to put my vox cab above my orange as the vox is considerably smaller.

Sonically, I desire my orange cab to be louder than my vox cab.

My amp is an Orange OR15 and its 3 available output jacks are as follows:

Connect 1 x 16ohm cabinet to the 16ohm speaker output jack socket.
    Connect 1 x 8ohm cabinet to either of the 8ohm speaker output jack socket.
    Connect 2 x 16ohm cabinets to both of the 8ohm speaker output jack sockets.

Would it be a good idea to plug my orange cab into the 16 ohm output, and my vox cab into the 8 ohm output?
    This means that the orange cab would be correctly matched and the vox cab would be 'wrongly matched'.
    Would this lower the volume of my vox cab? And would it also affect the tone?

Feedback is very much appreciated

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

No it will not make that much of a difference per say tone or volume wise but would not be good for your amps OT to mismatch impedances. Two 16 ohm cabs should be running off 8 ohms. Maybe close off the back, run a heavier grill cloth, or change speakers.

3. prorenzo

prorenzo Member

4. pdf64

pdf64 Member

The previous response to your query was good.

No, that would put the wrong load on to the amp. It may not cause an immediate problem but if played loud it may shorten the operational life of the power tubes.

You aren't analysing this correctly. What matters is the total / effective load on the amp.
    Hence to connect 2 x 16 ohm cabs, the 8 ohm output of the amp is used.

Yes, it probably would, but I don't think it's a good solution to your issue.
    The cab on top is generally going seem louder to the user because it's closer and more 'on-axis' to their ears.
    A few yards back, eg audience, bandmates, the experience may be different.
    Try putting the cabs side by side, on chairs or angled up at your head.