1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mixing speakers and db's question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cap217, May 20, 2011.

1. cap217

cap217 Member

If I mix a G12-75t that is 97db sensitivity with a G12M that is 98db but the 75 is 75 watts and the G12m is 25 watts. Would they sound even?

People mix 75s w V30's and the V30 is 100db and I think overpowers the 75s. I feel like you really need to pus G12-75ts.

2. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

The sensitivity and power handling are two separate things. If the impedance is the same, both speakers will get the same power. Thus, when your G12M is getting 25 watts, so is the G12-75t. So a G12M and a G12-75t will have a max power capacity of 50 watts.

At any power level, the G12M will be slightly louder. It may sound louder than that, as the G12-75t is a bit scooped through the mids. Still, the G12-75t will fill in the bass and treble the G12M lacks.

A Vintage 30 will overpower almost anything else, because of the upper mid peak it has. That's why they cut through a mix so well. It's not all about the average level, the peaks and dips of guitar speakers have more to do with what makes a good "match" than the sensitivity does.