Mixing Speakers in 2x12 - Relative Volumes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strat9659, Jan 21, 2012.

1. strat9659

strat9659 Member

I'm looking at getting a new 2x12 cabinet, and want to put a combination of Celestions in it. What I have in mind is:

- Heritage G12M Greenback, 8 ohm, 96 dB sensitivity.

- Heritage G12H30, 8 ohm, 100 dB sensitivity

Notwithstanding the tonal differences, and other speakers that I might consider, my question relates to the efficiency/sensitivity differences between the two types. From my university days, my thought would be that when run together, the power input would be spread pretty evenly across the speakers, and that the G12H would sound approximately twice as loud as the Greenback, and would therefore drown it out.

Is my logic correct, and are there any users out there with this combo that can comment on the set-up?

2. moggio

moggio Member

Yes, your logic is correct. The Heritage G12H30 will overpower the Heritage Greenback, although it will not "drown it out" completely. I run a 2x12 of Heritage 30s and a 2x12 of standard Greenbacks with a Germino Lead 55 LV on occassion. The Heritage 30 cab is dominant but the Greenback cab is smoother and adds some mids. Actually sounds pretty good to my ears.

3. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

You have to turn something down by about -12dB to bury it in the mix. As moggio said, the H will be louder, but the M will still add something and it's a very popular pairing.

4. strat9659

strat9659 Member

Thanks guys, this is good news and just what I was hoping to hear - I'll look to wire the box up so I can use either side on its own to compare the two or have tonal options, or both together as a 2x12 combo :)