Mixing Speakers in 4x12's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm sure this thread has been done to death but for those who have tried different combinations in their 4x12's let me know what you did, why, and what were the results.

I had recently purchased a Marshall 1960AC wich is the one with the reissue Greenbacks in it but looks like a JCM 800. I found myself wanting to tame the Highs a little bit and decided to Change the Top two Greenbacks to Vintage 30's. So far so good kinda of peeled the Cranked Highs back a little but I cant tell much of a difference in the Clean Tone.

I've seen some folks say put em in an X pattern but to me I want ted to tame what is pointed at my ears and felt the lower speakers should stay.

What say you?

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I think you made a good call. It is one of the reasons that I like straight cabs better. I can control the overall tone of the cab when I am mixing speakers a bit better I think when the baffle surface is consistent.
    Right now I am running an Orange 4-12 with a pair of older Weber Alnico Blue Dogs at 16ohm and 1-8ohm Jensen Neo [great sounding speaker btw] for a total of 16ohms in the cab, which is what my head likes to see best. I like the 3-12 configuration right now. I have the remaining hole covered with a piece of 3/8" ply that has some sound deadening material on the back of it so the piece does not resonate sympathetically. I like the idea of mic'ing this corner of the cab, stealthy remedy for out of control soundguys [or is it too much in control....]. M.E.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have a straight 4 x12 but if I had a slant Id definately put the G12H-30's on the bottom! Right now they are in an x pattern with v-30's. Im seriously thinking of trying some Emi V12's to replace them.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thats what I wanted to know. Seems my thinking is correct then. It could be the Greenies need breaking in some but shoot its easy enuff to put them thar V30's in since I had them.

Just stick two of the Greenies up for safe keeping.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah the GB's must need break in. I thought they were supposed to be a fairly warm speaker but Ive never tried them. It took forever for my G12H-30's to break in. Even still they need beam blockers cause they are very directional. Its funny I think the v30/G12 mix sounds excellent yet still Im searching for something fuller,darker,warmer-V12's maybe.......:jo

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yes I had a HW Cab with the Heritage H30's in it and I played the ever living **** out of it and couldnt get em broken in.

7. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

V12 are what you're looking for I'd say. Soldano cab was great loaded with them!! Now . . can someone tell me for sure if you can swap an Emi for a Celestion 'mounting wise' are they just the same? Or do you need to "fiddle' a bit?

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No fiddling required. Mounting is identical.:)

9. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Sweet!! Thanks man:roll

10. el34power

el34power Member

Yeah i think the greens need to be broken in, If anything, greens are warm and sort of lack highs. I had 2 greenbacks and 2 red fangs in a 4x12. Very good results.
    If i may suggest one thing.. the V30,G12M once broken in will probably sound too dark..So i would wait a bit before spending more on darker cones...my 2 cents

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well I had two V30's setting around. If it Darkens up after a while I can just stick two of the Greenies back in there they will virtually be new.

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have done way too many Gumbo cabinets to list them all so if you want to talk about it send me an email with your phone number and I will call.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

14. Brooks

Brooks Member

i recently got a cheap marshall 4x12 off ebay.
    its been ~15 years since i've had a 4x12,
    and to be totally honest, since most of my gigs are acoustic (& electric gigs i use a 1x12)
    i bought it mostly to look cool in my music room (whata poser :) ).

anyway, it has the celestion G12L's, which were kinda quiet and dark.
    i had a V30 lying around, so i stuck that in, a slight improvement.
    i'm toying w/ the idea of sticking a non marshall sounding spkr in, like my weber alnico.
    maybe wiring it so i can use the weber w/ one amp and the celestions w/ another.

15. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I TOO feel that the G12H30s take FOREVER to break in. I have them in a Mojave 4x12. I feel the cab is a tad stiff and crunchy, ESP with my Shiva. I think an X Pattern with V30s might be the cure.... OR maybe I should just get a Bogner Cab.

Bogner seems to recommend V30s and CL80s as a mix.

I have been pondering

G12 / Greens
    G12 / V30s
    CL80 / V30

I don't have the time or money to try all of these - so any ideas?

16. gronk62

gronk62 Member

I have 4 CL80's in mine and have been wonderin' how a pair of G75T's and a pair of 80's would sound

The 80's have a mid hump and a smooth top end and the 75's have a hollow middle and more bottoms but their top end can be a little harsh.

Any comments?

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not sure on that particular mix but I recently had good success taming "pronounced" upper mids/highs(not bright just too much) in my 4x12. The G12's I have are too "foward" in the upper mids/high end with my JSX.I think its mostly the amps fault. Paired them recenly with some speakers that are dark on top(carvins-actually Eminence) and the mix is really nice. The Key is to figure out as close as possible what your hearing. If your description of the what your hearing in the CL80 is correct perhaps it will be a good mix.

18. JWR

JWR Member

Personal opinion here, but the Scumbacks are designed to sound like old Celestions, perhaps they would be a better fit for you. I'm not biased or anything,....I have 3 bottoms loaded with them.

Also, regarding the mix/x pattern etc. After alot of experimentation, I think that 4 of the same speaker is best. The difference in efficiency from say a greenback to an H is 3 db, very noticable to me.

19. alanfc

alanfc Member

20. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I've been using Celestion G12H'S and Weber Silver Bells in an X pattern in a Suhr CAA 4x12 Cab it sounds great!