1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing with Pro Tools LE. Opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by yesteryear, Jan 4, 2008.

1. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

So Im upgrading my Mac Mini(duo core) to have 2 gigs of ram. I have recorded all tracks at a larger studio. In other words everything was tracked at the highest possible quality. 90% of editing has already been done. Final vocal takes have been comp'd. Guitars have been comp'd and so have bass and drums. In other words I have clean and quality tracks. Some minor cross fades and automation will have to be done but for the most part all the editing has been done. My question is whether or not you guys think that after zeroing all the tracks and dumping them in pro tools le I will be able to work with them without a hassle. Right now I only have the Digi-rack and Bomb Factory plug-ins installed. Do you recommend adding some more plug-ins? Which ones? Do you think that with the upgraded computer I am ok as far as hardware is concerned? This is all being used with an Mbox2 as the soundcard so to speak. Im not expecting to achieve the results that one might get with a 30,000$ setup. I am just trying to explore the art of mixing and potentially mastering at semi-professional level. It is for a self made project. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. If you can foresee any technical issues that would obviously arise, let me know. By the way, it is an acoustic-rock-pop record with full kits and about 16 tracks per song.

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Member

I think youll be fine, EXCEPT at what sample rate were they recorded? If you recorded at 192 you wont be fine. Youd have to dither it down to 96 or 48 or 41 or something to mix in LE.

Plugins: nice to have when your really mixing, but if all your doing is crossfades and getting the levels correct id say your fine. If you were mixing the whole project id say go out and get some decent software eqs and compressors.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

What are you going to monitor on?

That would be the most important factor in your success, IMHO.

Personally, I would have done all the "busy work" like comping, crossfades, etc. at home and then mixed at the nice place.

If I were you, I'd mix until you've got it as good as you can, and then take it back to the studio and do an hour or so of final tweaks, so you can really hear what you're doing.

Loudboy

4. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Sure you can mix with what you've got. But what kind of monitors do you have? Is your mix room treated? Digirack plugs might get you by, but there are much better products out there. Check out the Massey stuff for high quality plugs at very reasonable prices. Also the one digi plug that really blows is the d-verb. I'd be looking for a better reverb plug.

You can do a complete mix with the tools you already have, but you will also need to have realistic expectations of what the final product might be.

Good luck.

5. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

You should be OK. If you DID indeed track them "at the highest quality" - you probably wont NEED a bunch of plugs anyways.

I agree w/ JCM , get the Massey plugs - at the very least the CT4 compressor and then the 2007 Limiter

dont send off anything for duplication until you've checked your mixes other places and lived with them for a while ( if possible ).. But if these are speakers you regularly listen to , you KNOW what it's "supposed" to sound like, right ?

It probably wont be as nice as if someone w/ more experience and a better rig mixed it, but if you want to explore mixing and see what you can do, just go for it !!

I've heard some pretty "musical" mixes come from guys w/ little experience. Just dont try and make it REALLY loud ( if you dont know the right way to do that ) and watch clipping your plug-ins

When using cheaper eqs, cut whenever you can - instead of boosting:AOK

Good Luck - post your results

6. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

Wow I hadn't checked this thread in a while. Thanks for all the advise lads. Funny how two of you guys mentioned the Massey plugins. I have downloaded the free demos but I already know I will be getting the full versions. They get great reviews and the price is amazing. I am in complete agreement with you JCM 800. The D-Verb blows. Ive demoed tons of things and tried to get some reasonable results with D-verb but it never works well. Its as if I can never get it to sound like I am hoping for no matter how try. Ive got some decent M-Audio monitors(Studiophiles). They are more than enough. I agree with the idea of doing whatever I can do and taking it somewhere else after. In the end I will be using the mixes I have to point a real mix engineer in the right direction. For now D-verb will do but Im still gonna pick up the massey plugins. You can never have enough eq, compressor plugs:p. I hope to have my computer back soon and will post some mixes asap to get some feedback and criticism.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yes, you can do a pro sounding mix with what you have.