MJ. It's been 10 Years

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RUSHFANnLV, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Madsen

Madsen Member

2. Timcito

Timcito Member

I always found Jackson to be an asexual, childlike kind of person, which made it seem unlikely to me that he had committed the acts of which he was accused. As a result, my liking for some of his music was not affected by the stories. However, even if it had been unequivocally proven that he had sexually assaulted children, I would probably still have liked the songs I liked, even if I found the man personally repugnant. Wasn't Chuck Berry caught red-handed and subsequently imprisoned for doing some pretty bizarre stuff? Does that affect my liking for Johnny B Goode and other great hits? No, it doesn't. Who Chuck Berry was and what he did for kicks, even if he broke the law in the process, does not really diminish the power and genius of those songs.

Perhaps this is where acting and music diverge. When a great musician writes a song, he has created something that reaches out beyond himself and made something that others will use, re-use and reinvent often independently of the music writer himself. If we were ever transported by 'Bridge Over Troubled Water,' we were not, I think, enraptured by the image of Art Garfunkel or Paul Simon making their weary way through life, but by that of ourselves or people we might have known doing so. Once the song was written, it was as if it had taken leave of the writer personally and become common property. 'Your Song' by Elton John is very cleverly titled. On one level, of course, the 'your' refers to the lover who inspired Elton to write the song; however, he must have realized that once the song was out on the airwaves, it was no longer about his lover any more but about the listener's. The 'your' acknowledges that the song now belongs to the listener, who will reconstruct it to describe the romantic landscape of his or her own life.

In contrast, acting is a much less abstract art than music. It creates characters who retain greater independence compared with those who appear in or narrate songs. While we might recognize traits within Hamlet or Willy Loman that we share, the pathos that surrounds these characters remains very much their own rather than ours. Given this resilience and independence, many actors get understandably nervous about getting typecast. If they play a certain character long enough, the audience will not only see James Bond as a unique character independent of themselves, they will come to believe, on one level of their minds, that this actor really is James Bond and that he probably drives an Aston Martin home and is quick with his fists.

Some actors court such identification with their character for its familiarity and the job security it brings. There was one English actor, William Roache, who took a sitcom part as Ken Barlow in Coronation Street in 1960 and has remained there ever since, as far as I know. To the English nation, Roache is Ken Barlow. For this reason, Bill Cosby playing a symbol of American family values and benevolence is a very different proposition from Michael Jackson singing about a teen pregnancy or horror fantasies. Like William Roache with Ken Barlow, Bill Cosby became intertwined with Dr. Huxtable, whose virtues earned him the prestigious title of 'America's dad.' It seems inevitable that such a towering pillar of virtue would be judged more harshly for his private life than a musician like Jackson.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Sadhaka, shane8 and ckfoxtrot like this.
  3. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill

Imo, This is a pretty good depiction of what he truly was.

[​IMG]

4inchjones and el capitan like this.
  4. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

My two-year old says, "I want to hear the scary wolf song - 'It's Gorilla!'"
    [​IMG]

el capitan likes this.
  5. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I am more of a fan of Farrah than MJ. Just saying....

sahhas likes this.
  6. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Definitely do NOT remember where I was when he died. I thought he was a creep when those accusations came out. I liked the Jackson 5 and OTW.

I have two sons (10 &13) and I get upset when I hear his music. They still like the music even though they know about MJs predilections for sex with young boys.

I can’t listen. Except to the solo in “beat it”.

7. Madsen

Madsen Member

8. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

The recent Documentary was highly disturbing.

Those kids parents are also to blame.

9. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

yea, it's funny , to me MJ is:
    i was sort of shocked by Michael Jackson's Death, never suspected it, but after thinking of his life, i'm not really shocked that much anymore....weird to think he was 50 when he died, just not very old....

10. Dig ?

Dig ? Member

goona be blunt here.. when someone tells me they dont like michael jackson, be it because of the accusations or that the simply dont like the music, I don’t believe it.

Sadhaka and RUSHFANnLV like this.
  11. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

I totally agree with you and, well put good sir.

ow my eyes likes this.
  12. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Member

I’m really glad that I’ve got a moral standing to judge pedophilia.

It certainly diminishes him as a human being, but, does it diminish his art? Super good question.

4inchjones and Mr. Crow like this.
  13. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

I listen to his music as much now as I did in his heyday.

Sadhaka and shane8 like this.
  14. SteveO

SteveO Member

I avoided paying attention to much of the media circus that his life became, so I’m just curious-was he ever convicted in a court of law, or simply in the court of public opinion after being worked into a frenzy by the media (mostly rags like the National Enquirer)?

Srvwannab and Timcito like this.
  15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Well, he was also in a **** ton of debt so...

84superchamp likes this.
  16. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Would you believe me if I said I enjoyed his music before Thriller, lost interest during Thriller's heyday and had no desire to hear what he recorded afterward? What reason would I have to lie about that?

Sleepyscholar and Gasp100 like this.
  17. benagain

benagain Member

Hard to groove to music that might have been inspired by allegedly illegal deviant acts.. (YMMV)

Also see : John Phillips from the Mamas and Papas.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Mr. Crow likes this.
  18. shane8

shane8 Member

mary jane
    totes .….. if we're gonna call out artists for (alleged) stuff there won't be none left

:dude

tell me this isn't brilliant

VooDooClown, Sadhaka and Timcito like this.
  19. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I still like the music. If I only allowed myself to listen to music by nice, wholesome types, I wouldn't have much of a collection. Jackson's music stands on its own merits imho, and it's some of the best pop ever made.

Timcito and shane8 like this.
  20. p19978

p19978 Member

If it walks like a pedo, smells like a pedo, and acts like a pedo... it's a pedo.

Hard no.

4inchjones and Mr. Crow like this.