1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MJM Blues Devil replaced my Banzai Cold Fusion...am I happy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Feb 2, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I recently sold my favorite boost/OD, the Banzai Cold Fusion, because it was breaking my rule of having to sound great with all my guitars. It sounded absolutely amazing with my P90 hollow, but it didn't like my Strat nearly as well. I reluctantly sold it to fund the search for a new OD that would work well with all my guitars.

The replacement? A custom layout MJM Blues Devil. Am I happy?...well......not really, but I'm not upset much either. The Blues Devil sounds fine with both guitars but doesn't really knock my socks off like the Banzai did. The best I could put it is this; the Blues Devil is "safe" where the Cold Fusion was "dangerous". I can get nice, consistent tones out of the Blues Devil with all my guitars but nothing that really jumps out and sings to me. I think what I am actually missing is the fact that I had a boost in the Banzai which is what was sending it into sweet, sweet OD. I actually had to be careful when engaging the Cold Fusion, it was an intimidating pedal. With 25 dB under the hood, it could OD like no other.

Banzai Cold Fusion = 9.2
    MJM Blues Devil = 7.8

Maybe I should try stacking the Blues Devil with the TriBoost. Either way, at this point I am having seller's remorse. I have spoken with the buyer of my Cold Fusion and there is no chance of buying it back...he loves it.

Could some of you fellow Blues Devil users offer similar feelings, stories or suggestions on what I could try with the BD? Does anybody have a Cold Fusion they would like to trade for a Blues Devil? Am I jumping the gun here, need to spend more time with the pedal?

2. Ommy

Ommy Member

Hey gururyan. What amp are you running the blues devil into? Does your main gripe with the blues devil, have to do with the amount of gain it has? Also didn't you get the blues devil with the additional boost switch? If anything, I say contact mjm and let him know exactly what you want.

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I'm running it into a Fender Blues Deluxe.
    I am unaware of any additional boost switch, it has some boost...but nothing like the 25 dB I am used to on the Cold Fusion.

4. drolling

drolling Member

OK, I've got a real early one, what's left of the paint's a nasty fire engine red & when you open the enclosure, the crudely hand-etched board drops right out in a tangle of loose wires & electrician's tape - the only thing *custom* about it's the conventional triangular placement of the knobs - the original owner was afraid he'd be changing settings w/his foot if he went w/ the weird diagonal control configuration.

Thing flat out kills the best example of an original 808 that I was ever able to lay my hands on- and at $65 CDN has paid for itself many times over.

It's SRV in a box, and resides on a splintered chunk of plywood, alongside a wah, vibe & delay.

For what it does, it cannot be beat, but I only use it w/an old strat and a bf vibroverb. I don't like the way it stacks & the only compression it seems to work with comes from the amp/speakers.

Ryan, I drove myself insane trying to cherry pick components that would work w/all amps/gits/styles - at one point lugging a two-tiered board and rack full of pedal drawers. I finally gave up and now choose from 4 small(one's electro-acoustic) boards, depending on the work.

And sometimes I still have to just lay the sh!t out on the floor to get the job done.

Obviously, you appreciate what the BD can & can't do and it's also apparent that you found your sound w/the Banzai pedal. I'd vote that you get yourself another Coldfusion and put it or the bluesdevil in a loop.

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Never sell stuff based on ideas like that!
    I have a mountain of drives, and I am never ever going to part with very many of them;)

6. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

A bit off topic but ...

After having heard MANY fuzzboxes, I chose the Foxey Fuzz. I couldn't be happier. One or two others may be equally as good, but I am (have been) just THRILLED with MJM.

7. Ommy

Ommy Member

I've seen someone with a boost switch on their custom. I say talk to the builder about maybe adding a boost switch?

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I diddled with the Banzai Cold Fusion and loved the colors but the pedal wasn’t intuitive to me and just warranted too much effort. I find, the Blues Devil to be a smoking, easy to use pedal. I keep the gain low and have the volume significantly above unity and I dig the color it spreads over a pushed amp. Personally, I think it sounds like squat unless it’s going through a loud amp but all the TS-style pedals do {to my ears}. Hate to say this but I’d seriously advise you to reconsider your rule. I think it’s rather limiting and your guitars will love you best if you allow them to self regulate tone. :AOK

9. eknapier

eknapier Member

"A bit off topic but ...

After having heard MANY fuzzboxes, I chose the Foxey Fuzz. I couldn't be happier. One or two others may be equally as good, but I am (have been) just THRILLED with MJM."

Well, I'll go off topic with you, I'm still on my Foxey Fuzz honeymoon, and it just floors me every time I step on it. Cuts thru the mix so well, and gives me that over the top sound that I hate setting my OD's up for...now it can do it's thing, and the OD's can do their thing, and I can be happy :)

+1 on the foxey for sure, haven't tried the Blues Devil though - but MJM makes great, great stuff...

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, thanks for all the comments. I was originally going to have Mike build me a special "mini" Blues Devil but the price exceeded what my wife thought was "normal" so that got axed. Then, luckily, I found one on the boards here and I dug the custom layout. Anyway, I do regret selling the Banzai. My rule sucks, I admit it...but unfortunately I can't afford to keep all my pedals, each sale funds the next purchase. I agree with many of what has been said though. I also have a London Fuzz and love it, Mike does do quality work. That's not the issue, the issue is I let my perfect P90 hollow OD go while searching for something that would allow me to have my cake and eat it too.

I will play more with the BD and see what I can find. I also agree that it is quite easy to use, the Banzai did require more fiddling...but boy, when you fiddled just right and left it alone....wowza.

11. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

I've owned a Keeley Baked TS9 and original versions of the TS9 and TS10 and the MJM BD was the best at what it does. I'm also the previous owner of gururyan's BD. However, I think comparing the CF to the BD is comparing apples to oranges.

I thought the BD excels with single coil pickups and Fender BF or SF amps. I only sold the BD since I no longer own any Fender amps and now was getting little use.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Given your "location", and the above statement - If the old axiom about 'suffering' and 'the blues' is true, then you must play with the deepest conviction;)

13. arexjay

arexjay Member

To bump an old thread...

How does the Blues Devil work with other dirt pedals? Could I use my Boss OD-3 as a solo boost with it, you think?

Or will a Blues Pro just mesh better with my Crunch Box and OD-3?