MJM Blues Devil V Pedalworks Texas Two Step II

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1968, Jun 10, 2006.

1. 1968

1968 Member

Anyone able to make a comparison?.. Havn't played the Texas- but it sounds like its a bit more versatile?..

Editited thread- LTD no good :BEER

2. drolling

drolling Member

I've got an old custom Blues Devil and a very early Silver LTD - Both great overdrive pedals, but the BD's got a rawer sound and definitely more gain on tap. When I had both on my board, the LTD was my crunch rhythm pedal and I'd kick in the BD for solos. IIRC, they 'stack' pretty well, but I'd spent some time futzing w/the internal trimpots on the LTD to 'tune' it to my rig..

3. 1968

1968 Member

Ok that kinda rules out the LTD..

What about the Pedalworx Texas Two Step II. ? How does that compare to the Blues Devil?

4. bluelew

bluelew Member

Had both- I had the first version of the TTS. As I remember, it had a tube screamer vibe with a touch of raspiness that didn't do it for me. The blues devil was dead on tube screamer. Build quality was awesome for both pedals. The TTS is definately more versatile but the raspiness just didn't fit in to my style. If your looking for vintage SRV tube screamer sound I would go with the blues devil. The TTS felt more like Albert Collins- which can be a good thing!

5. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

I also had the first version TTS ( serial#002 ) and I kept the Blues Devil. There's something about the attack of the BD that can't be explained but has to be played to understand. The TTS was my second choice for TS-9 type tone - also a VERY nice pedal, a little tougher sounding but less gain.

6. 1968

1968 Member

Thanks.. anyone have one of the new TTS s?

7. Improviser

Improviser Member

Yep, I bought a TTS2 recently and I really like it a lot. More vibey than a Fulldrive2, and a really wide variety of tones available. Haven't tried the Blues Devil, however I prefer the TTS2 over the original TS808's I own.

8. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, and I don't notice the raspiness people noticed with the earlier model. Definitely more transparent and amp-like than a FD2. Has fantastic harmonics with my Les Paul -- it really does that double-tone, singing thing. (I think I might prefer the FD2 for my strat, but I play the LP 95% of the time.) Not perfect, but the best I've found so far. It's got some really great sounds in it. Haven't compared it with a Blues Devil.

9. 1968

1968 Member

10. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

If you use 6L6s and alnico speakers then the TTS is the way to go.
    REally sounds like a super reverb in a box.
    IF you use a Super Reverb then look no further than this pedal.

11. 1968

1968 Member

EL34s and G12H-30s :worried ??

12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Anybody else compared the TTS 2 to the mjm blues D??? I just got in my tts and its red ( hope its the 2nd edition, cause I think the first one was black ) and it rocks!!! I seem to remember the BluesD had a bit less bass...... but its been awhile since I sold it.

Id like to hear some more thoughts on these 2 pedals.

13. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

Hi,

I built the TTS to get a clean Fender Twin to sound like it was breaking up at any volume level. Because I designed it for rhythm as well as lead the TTS ends up having more bottom end than a TS-808 and I added the eq shifting boost to add fills with.
    The TTS-2 boost adds drive/level with a flat eq.
    Tone wise I was shooting for Texas Boogie Blues tones ala ZZ Top.

The Blues Devil, which I do not make but like enough to own one, is more TS-808 and used for soloing and not so much for rhythm guitar. Like the 808 is cuts bottom and emphasizes mids.

Ah yes, my personal TTS is one of the first ones that I made in a silver box.
    I use this with an old Super Reverb even though it was designed on the Twin.

Regards,
    George

14. fatcat

fatcat Senior Member

The blues devil is one great pedal IMO and does a low gain sound no other ts or TTs will do. like a early marshall with lite clean breakup and cranked out it just a bit under a tube screamer. The TTS? yeah i played it too. A friend of mine hated it and sent it to me to check out. There was either something wrong with it or it just plain sucked azz. very harsh sounding. The thing looked nice and was in a silver box and had odd knobs on it a blue L.E.D. i had it for about a week and sent it back to him. The last i heard he sent it back to pedalworx and told them to keep it. IMO it did sound pretty rough and on the odd order side of things like the nasty fuzz you get with the fulltone octafuzz minus the high octive's
    this was a year or 2 ago so things might have changed by now.

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

I had a silver TTS and it had some nice tones in it on the treble strings...but in the end I found it muddy and indistinct on the bass strings and I just couldn't find a balance between bass and treble strings which made me happy...ultimitly this was the deal breaker for me...

I also sold my BD as almost everytime I stepped on the FS I would change the volumn setting...sometimes I would be getting ready to solo only to have no volumn and my big feet just couldn't get used to it...tonally it was great but I just couldn't live with the layout and didn't really want to get another one in a different box...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I messed with it some more last night and I can see how it may be voiced better for rythym. I just need more time before I can say Im going to keep it.

I may get a BluesD rehoused and give that one another try.

17. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I've had 2 and that description doesn't come close to My experience. Even with a Strat into a clean Fender it was very smooth yet ballsy.

18. fatcat

fatcat Senior Member

Then there must have been something wrong with it and my friend Mike lost 200.00 bucks. You would think it could have been fixed if there was something wrong with it. He Told me Pedalworx was supposed to check it out to see if their was anything wrong with it and if they didn't find anything to keep it. LOL! he was not well about that deal at all. From what i heard it sounded nothing like what you discribed.

19. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Get in contact with MJM. They can make the BD with a "standard" O-O-O layout. I got rid of my first BD because of the way the controls were diagonal. With the improvement on the layout and of course its sound, it has found a seemingly permanent place on my board.

20. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

This is news to me so perhaps you are trying to start a flame thread ?
    :stir

What ever your agenda is I am not buying it because the silver TTS pedals were out of production by the first quarter of 2002 (roughly) so waiting until the second quarter of 2008 to complain, for your friend Mike no less, simply doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.

Have a great weekend fat

George