MJM Guitar FX Luxora - New TS Offering

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GTblues, Apr 20, 2016.

1. GTblues

GTblues Member

I am a huge fan of the MJM Blues Devil (own 2 of them) and also loved the Phantom. Looks like Michael has re-designed his take on the original TS808 once again. Interested to hear feedback on this new model.

http://mjmguitarfx.com/product/luxora-overdrive/

Haunting Mids and Meriphew like this.
  2. bettset

bettset Member

i have his vibe and roctavious. have had them 9-10 yrs...........hard to believe. well i have his custom shop vibe the past 2 yrs replacing his original. have a 2 knob brit bender unfortunately sitting cause it's too much fuzz. a very good pedal, just more than i need. it's 10 yrs old too. my bet that whatever he's working on, it'll sound nice. i know his custom shop vibe was an improvement......not that it really needed it. just like anybody, as he learns, the product improves. i need to place an order for that wah he does too :munch

Stratobuc and GTblues like this.
  3. fishcake

fishcake Member

Looks interesting. Looks like he removed the toggle. Im assuming he went back to the original blues devil voicing. Looks and sounds great.

GTblues likes this.
  4. leziv

leziv Member

Will definitely be picking one up. My Phantom is the only pedal that has survived my pedal board changes over the years.

GTblues likes this.
  5. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

That looks great. I'm flush with 808's right now (EQD Dunes, Basic Audio 808, MJM Blues Devil), otherwise I'd be tempted to grab one. If it had top jacks I'd def get one. The only reason the MJM Blues Devil isn't still on my board is because of the size of it.

6. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

Very tempted, love the Blues Devil.

7. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

MJM is a brand I have always wanted to try out the products of.
    I never did because of shipping/customs fees to Europe
    But it's the most pleasing platonic relationship I've had.
    This Luxora looks awesome, as does the new design of Michael's whole line.

8. GTblues

GTblues Member

I took the plunge and picked up a new Luxora to compare to my two early Blues Devils.

I've only played through it at home so far but at bedroom volumes the Luxora is definatly less compressed than the Blues Devil. Other notables are that the Luxora seems to provide more output and the sweep of the tone control is more usable than earlier MJM TS type overdrives.

I am a big fan of tube screamers and the Blues Devil has stayed on my board for 8 years running. I've gone through just about all of the Ibanez and Maxon TS versions available on the market over the past decade as well as dozens of clones and spinoffs including pedals from Lovepedal, VFE, Fulltone, Visual Sound, JHS, Wampler, etc. etc. etc... The Blues Devil remains time after time.

With that said... at bedroom volumes, the contest is very close. There is a harmonic sweetness to the Blues Devil that I love along the slight increase in gain and low end compared to many of the traditional tube screamer pedals. The Luxora is hanging with the Blues Devil so far but the true test will be in a live setting at higher volumes. More to come but I am very impressed with Luxora so far.

9. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I just got a Luxora recently, and all I can say MJM perfected the TS tones on this one. Also have a BD and Phantom. This is just perfectly brewed.

10. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

Any more impressions on this one?

I'm itching to pull the trigger!

11. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I have a Sixties Vibe and a Ulysses wah. Both are incredible. The wah is worth it - it has "it". Love his stuff, and Michael is such a great guy to work with. Total pleasure.

turtleboy3 and bettset like this.
  12. RYAN1987M

Is MJM a Canadian company by chance?

13. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

I have been waiting for a really great video sample of the ulysses wah. I would really appreciate it if you could do one for us who are really gassing for one.

Thanks

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

Have an MJM Brit Bender (2 knob-Mk II circuit) that I really like.

ezra1 likes this.
  15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I don't have any way to record a demo for you. But I did find this guy who puts one through its paces, and you can hear what it does, along with some other stuff.

16. GTblues

GTblues Member

Yes. MJM GUITAR FX is a Canadian company.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  17. RYAN1987M

Are there any Luxora users out there who care to post their impressions?

I'm still itching to pull the trigger on this - I suppose I should just do it...

18. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Interested. The Phantom was awesome.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  19. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Dunno aboutbthe company, but Mike sure is. He lived around the corner from me in Montreal over 30 years ago. He was the Hendrix obsessed guy with a 61 Strat and a Plexi stack in his bedroom. Definitely had the chops.

If you're reading this, Mike, I still have the Wah Face!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  20. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

LOL..That's my video from 2006-07?