MJM London Fuzz (w/Bias)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzface71, May 21, 2012.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I haven't talked about my love for MJM lately, but after last night's jam. I was just blown away again and again. And now with the added "bias" knob.
    It just made it more versatile than ever. Michael from MJM really knows how to build a Fuzz Face! And the new graphics looks great as well!
    Now, I have a red one, this one and an older big box version!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. Rasomaso

Rasomaso Member

Don't you find that the footswitch often craps out on these MJM pedals? I've got an old case London Fuzz (ger) and new case Phantom OD and both switches crapped out on me. :( Sound awesome though, when they work.

3. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Definitely want, I think I will do the silicon with bias, my old red germ is stellar. No switch issues yet.

4. fuzzface71

He uses the same DPDT switches that everyone use. So, I don't think it would be the switches, but the player. Not sure how you stomp on your pedals, but I have an older Blues Devil that I've been using since 2001! And I never had a problem on any of them.

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I just bought a used London II with bias off here and it's great. I used to have an old large box London II that I loved but this one with the bias is so much more versatile. You can really 'open' up the tone with the bias rolled down. Fuzzface71, what are you running your bias at? At rehearsal yesterday, I seemed to hover around 10-11 o'clock.

I've owned half a dozen or so MJM pedals and never had an issue with switches.

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

The new ones look awesome. I have an older mini/custom w/ bias, one of my favorite fuzzes. Never an issue w/ the footswitch either, as solid as the best pedals I've ever owned...

[​IMG]

Mad John likes this.
  7. fuzzface71

Same here. I guess depending on the day. :)

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

I've got and old one like that too. I've found the bias control doesn't do as much as on some other fuzzes I've tried, but is still useful. Only issue with it is it's really difficult to get the case closed when changing the battery, not a lot of room in there!

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Yeah, I tend not to use the bias all that often, most of the time I like it set like in the pic- counterclockwise for a tighter feel. The one I have was supposedly modded for slightly less bass/more output, really love it.

10. ryderuveze

ryderuveze Supporting Member

On a side note...

I went to PGS the other day to try out a London and China Fuzz, but they only had the China. When I asked when they would get the London back in stock they said they wouldn't be re-stocking MJM once they sold their current stock. I wonder why? I wonder if it's because he isn't putting out new products and they consider MJM to be "yesterday's news". I disagree with this flavor of the month mentality and hope this isn't the case. I think MJM makes some great pedals.

11. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I have gas for one of these 3 knob London I fuzzes! Even though I've previously owned both the I and Ii. I really miss the I these days.

12. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I usually set it at noon or maybe 11 o'clock. It does come in handy when dialing in on a hot stage, but once it gets really hot and humid there's really nothing you can do.

I use to have to run it into a boost pedal to get the volume I needed, cut the bass and boost the mids a little, but I was using it more as an "effect"; the here comes that crazy fuzz solo sorta thing. I think it's just perfect for the guitar trio back of the volume for cleans roll it up for dirt kinda thing.

I wouldn't make that assumption, did you ask them? I also have a big box Foxey and it's just great, I haven't used it in a year but I can't sell it because it's just perfect for what it does.

13. fuzzface71

Is PGS the only on-line store? If you can't get any pedals there. Try Guitarx or Prymax etc.? :dunno

14. ryderuveze

I did ask them, they claimed not to know why. It was Mother's Day so maybe it wasn't their crack staff. Then one of them told me the London Fuzz was just a silicon fuzz and they sold other silicon fuzzes.

I'm aware that there are other online stores. I was expressing my surprise that this particular retailer was dropping MJM from their product line.

15. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

What a beautiful pedal. I love these FUZZes with the Bias knobs. So easy to tweak and so pronounced.

16. fuzzface71

How are we sure it wasn't the other way around? :stir

17. ryderuveze

Excellent point. I suppose we don't....the plot thickens.

18. fuzzface71

MJM vs. PGS :boxer

:rimshot

19. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I got a London Fuzz 2 today!

I really love it from the first time I plugged in. I have had a germanium fuzz pedal for quite some time, and although it can sound awesome, it gets very noisy. The London Fuzz 2 is not nearly as noisy.

But the TONE! I love it with a strat. It's very versatile and reacts super well to the guitar's volume knob roll off. I have yet to try it with other pedals. Sounds killer straight into my Marshall JVM on Red Crunch channel.

20. fuzzface71

Weird..I find that, it's the other way around. The silicon LF2 a tad noisier (well, since it has more gain). I have a feeling something is wrong with your germanium LF. If you find it noisier, than the LF2.