MJM Roctavios vs Addrock Electric Smile

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Okay, just sold my Digitech Whammy pedal and have some extra cash. I'm getting a Megavibe for christmas, and now wanting some sort of Octavia pedal.
    These are two pedals that are in my price range that I like the sound of, well - atleast from the clips I've heard.

Can you guys compare these two beast for me? Maybe give me the strong/weak points of both.
    Thanx a lot.

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hasn't anyone played both these pedals?:confused:

3. cheesey

cheesey Member

i had the roctavios , i liked it , if you never used one before it'll take some time to get used to. it didnt blow me away like i thought but eventually i got the hang of it.
    the gainster highly praises the electric smile and i would likely try that one if i had the choice again.
    did you hear the soundclips at mjm website?
    i think mitch has clips of the smile.
    good luck

4. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

MJM Roctavios!

I actually had a chance to test the Electric Smile and a MJM Roctavios head to head. IMO, the winner, with no question was the MJM Roctavios...The notes were more clear & defined...and it also tracked MUCH better. You should hear the growl you get when playing two bass notes together..oh my!!!

Also it was much more compatiple when combined with Fuzz and/or overdrive with it placed before those units.

If you like what you hear on the Band Of Gypsys for instance, the Roctavios will take you there in spades. The Electric Smile though highly regarded to some, sounded more muffled, bassy and not as dynamic as the Roctavios. MJM uses top notch components to boot....IMHO, it's the real deal, it's the most authentic Octavia clone I have personally ever heard period.

I never tried the Chicago Iron, which I've heard great things about as well.

I wanted to mention this because when an Octavia clone is brought up for discussion, the Roctavios hardly gets mentioned. How can this unit be overlooked? The Electric Smile falls short compared to the Roctavios IMHO...The Roctavios should certainly be considered if you are looking for a very authentic sounding Octavia clone.

The head to head test was done with a Strat into a Fender Twin.

5. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

I've got an Addrock - it's a great pedal. Never looked back, never regretted buying it, never thought about replacing it.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Great replys guys! Keep-em coming

I'll be using it with Buckers into a Flexi 50.
    So far the Roctavios is looking good. Do you need to have a fuzz pedal to make this thing sound great? I'm only using a Timmy to boost the Flexi's natural distortion. How do they mesh with a amps natural distortion?

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I've had both...still have the Addrock. Much better built quality with the Addrock stuff also. It has never left my board.

Clip here

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Cool, someone who has owned both. Could you be give me a more detail desciption of why you would choose the Addrock?

9. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I had a Roctavios and I think it sounded very good....It is POSITIVE tip..I fried mine..MJM did refund me but in the manual it didn't say it was positive tip..

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hmm... Wonder if he would do a negative tip version, That shouldn't change the sound of it.

11. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

i have an addrock for many years now. oddly enough i like it better with my les paul. i had an american standard strat that it sounded good with, but i also have the retroman octavious. the octavious sounded much better with the strat. i am just hanging with pauls now. the addrock is sick with it ! it literally tracks up and down the neck, and it doesn't matter what pu i use or how the volume and tone are set !? it's an amazing difference with a paul. did i get a weird one ? the fuzz on it is controlled mayhem. i love this thing.

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Wow, I amazed to see this thread after 5 years. lol
    I still have the Roctavios, and I still love it, though I've traded the Megavibe a couple months back to GAT for a Voodoo Vibe Plus. lol

The MJM is great. I haven't tried the new smaller boxes, but the pedal sounds great.