MJT Doesn't Do Pristine?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarjesus, Feb 12, 2018.

Jazzmaster Project Pickups

1. 3 Strat Single Coils

23.1%
  2. 2 Jazzmaster sized pickups

76.9%
  1. Last

Last Member

I can absolutely see why they only offer a relic or slight relic finish.

Doing a full on professional nitro finish takes an incredible amount of patience and hands on knowledge.

You can expect to pay close to double for a pristine nitro refin but it will be flawless.

I specialze on Gibson vintage correct finishing though and my clients expect perfection.

I do like a challenge. lol.

2. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

How much should a flawless/pro level/custom nitro finish cost in 21st century America? Just curious so I know what unrealistic demands I should carry with me. Ha
    EJ

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  3. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

"HI Jeff…….that sounds great to me! We can finish the body for $275 plus shipping back to you. Let me know if that sounds good and we’ll get started."

That's from Matt Jenny directly, for the Closet Clean finish job, so thats 50% the price of RS. Having dealt with auto body and paint, 550 for a guitar is highway robbery, especially when the body is already prepped.

egregion likes this.
  4. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

I posted relic pricing, so my mistake. A straight in and out with basic lacquer colors is the most economical, but $550 is far from outrageous for a pro job. I have used everyone from MJT to Marty Bell, to Pat Wilkins and Stike. RS is on the high side for sure, but if I were doing a vintage style LP, they would be on the short list of painters

5. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

I have had several MJT Strat bodies. I also prefer a "Closet Classic" type of finish.

I was wondering, since MJT does do Closet Clean finishes, but their's are still thin and seemingly more prone to becoming relic'd rather quickly... would it be possible to possibly have someone spray a thin clear coat Nitro layer over MJT's Closet Clean finish to make the finish more resilient, and to be able to then possibly also buff that into a more glossy finish as well if desired ?

Thoughts ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

That's exactly what I was thinking.

7. teledude55

teledude55 Member

same boat. Wanted a good newish looking body and can't find any on their site. Relics are kind of dumb, but I guess they can't get complaints about damaged product. hhh

8. gmann

gmann Member

It's more labor intensive to do a like new finish.

9. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

I think I'm going to do this on my own using StewMac nitro cans. If I can do a car, I can do a guitar. I have sand paper already, clear painting drop cloths to make a makeshift paint book and a respirator. Just need the nitro.

10. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I don't think it would be cost effective - if you're going to another party to spray nitro and do final buffing and finish, that person is probably capable of doing the entire finish from the start.

Mr.db, cardinal and aman74 like this.
  11. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Most are quoting for raw bodies or completely finished bodies that need to be stripped, though. I bought a couple of bodies and the supplies from Reranch last year planning to DIY it... but quickly realized that as I don't even have a garage, paying $400-500 for someone with a spray booth, proper HVLP setup and the skill to do the proper sanding and buffing between coats is more than worth it.

It's not rocket science to setup a guitar, either, but luthiers are more than justified in charging $60-75 to do so, IMO.

12. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

13. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

As others have said, MJT's 'closet clean' policy excuses flaws. Minor chips and checks, fine scratches, etc. Things I would consider common to the process, particularly with 'real' nitro. Because modern methods and formulas make a bowling ball finish relatively easy, the goalposts for factory finish have moved. Working with the finishes they do, MJT's closet clean is probably close to what Fender would have put out.

14. slider

slider Member

You can't get a clean Nash either. What a world.

15. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Nash?

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

[​IMG]

Broken Diode likes this.
  17. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Guys, I have purchased a Closet Clean finish from MJT. It arrived flawless - no checking, dents, lines, scratches etc. After curing period it was buffed and sent to me. I can't imagine it being any more "pristine." Looked as nice as any new Fender CS body. The ONLY thing I can think of that would prohibit them from guaranteeing a pristine finish is the travel from their shop to your home. Weather may factor into it checking, poor handling of the package etc. It's a real nitro finish.

chrisjw5 and egregion like this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Doesn't Fender, Gibson and every other guitar builder have to ship their instruments, too? Does weather only affect MJT?

19. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Ok, I was wondering what you meant. I would love to have a Nash Metropolitan. My dad had one when I was a kid.

20. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Because those instruments aren't necessarily purchased yet by anybody I have a feeling that they keep them longer in a curing process, we're talking huge facilities vs a small shop.