MJT USACG Tele Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kingdavidy2k, Apr 20, 2016.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Do you think this is exceptable blemish on the wood? I was not expecting this and not quite happy to be honest. And there's this white stuff on the end of frets. Is that glue? Is that normal? Am I rude if I want to get it replaced?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

The "blemish" looks like a dark spot in the wood - who cares, it doesn't affect tone or playability.
    The white stuff is buffing compound - get a rag and clean it off.
    Play your damn guitar until your fingers fall off.

mojocaster.com, Torren61, Rod and 2 others like this.
  3. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I'm looking at ordering a usacg neck. What size frets did you go with?

4. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Agreed. The leftover compound is normal and easily fixed, and neither would concern me.

5. Clyde Bisbee

Clyde Bisbee Supporting Member

I can't comment on the technical aspects of your post, but I think a significant cosmetic "birth mark" that may jump out at you everytime you play the guitar is a fair concern. It looks like a knot in the wood. What if that was on the front of the body? It's easy to say "suck it up and play!" when it's not your piece. Of course you could live with it, but I doubt there was any indication on their website that necks may have minor imperfections--which a knot is unless you purposely want knots in the wood, showing thru the finish. If it's something that's going to bug you going forward, call them the heck up and let them know you're less than satisfied.

Edit: My guess is if that was a new Fender of Gibson it would've been scrapped at the factory or gone out with a "SEC" stamped on the back of the headstock. Why should you settle for what amounts to a factory second...unless you're knowingly buying a factory second at a discount?

My .02
    Kerry

kingdavidy2k likes this.
  6. poolshark

I have various guitars with mineral spots. I understand wanting perfection, but we're talking about wood, and wood is imperfect.

mojocaster.com and Torren61 like this.
  7. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Oh, geez..... significant? Really?

Did you that the dark lines in spalted wood are actually mildew? Did you know that? Would you buy mildewed wood?
    I bet you won't eat cheese either, will ya? ALL cheese is milk infected with a fungus that turns the liquid into curds of cheese.

So "significant"... No.

8. sfguitarworks

sfguitarworks Supporting Member

Tough crowd today! It's not hard to get to get blemish free maple, so it's not really too much to ask for, in my opinion. I would have done something different if I had made the neck. Ultimately it's up to you.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Is that where cheese curds came from?

10. Clyde Bisbee

Clyde Bisbee Supporting Member

Significant is subjective...unless you mean that we must all bow to your advanced understanding of "significant."

Oh, and you might want to ease up on the roquefort.

Kerry

11. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

totally insignificant...it wont be rude to ask for a replacement, but it will cause many eye rolls.
    It wouldnt bother me the slightest but I might pretend it does, make a big stink and hope to get like $50 back.

12. poolshark

I think it depends on the company. For example, something like that probably wouldn't have passed inspection at PRS or Suhr, but they're geared toward the perfectionist image. You might get some eye-rolls from a relic builder - imperfection, if calculated, is kind of their game - but I'm sure Mark and Matt would do pretty much anything to keep their customers happy. If you're not happy, email them.

13. theon

theon Member

The Beauty of Mother Nature! Too many perfect guitars out here. Maple is not an exotic wood so that blemish may be unacceptable to some. It's your call.
    Hit them up and voice your displeasure then ask for a replacement or discount.

14. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

I have communicated my complaints to MJT.
    I'm very pleased with their customer service. They acknowledge my concerns and understand fully what the problem is. They didn't make me feel that I'm over reacting. They apologise for missing that spot when they sent me pictures of the neck. We are currently keeping the communication with MJT, USACG to find resolution.
    Props to MJT!

theon likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Hey Geoff! Long time no see. I'm still working on my Red Special Tribute Tele (the guitar that refuses to be completed). Geoff and his shop did a lot of work on that guitar to get it where I could put some final touches on it to get the prototype playable. I couldn't have done the work they did.

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Glad to hear they were cool about it. This said it would bother me not at all. But it's your neck, not mine :)

17. sfguitarworks

sfguitarworks Supporting Member

Glad to hear from you. Some projects really resist. I have a couple around right now! Let me know if we can help you get that dude done.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Thanks! She's close. I'm in the last lap with her. Doing a varnish finish and drill the new pick guard and it's all downhill from there, lol.