MJT vs USACG bodies

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulnmarshall, May 9, 2015.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi Everyone,
    I recently bought an MJT/wildwood body, it's gonna be shipped out on monday, but I was curious how it compares to USACG.
    Also what does everyone think about the look of MJT's plasics and hardware? Especially light aged. I ordered a callaham trem assembly, so the look and quality of the trem doesn't really matter since I'm not getting it anyway.
    Thanks!

2. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

I just got an MJT butterscocth tele body from a guy on TGP.

Really nice, some mild finish checking, very light and resonant. Not sure any other could be much better, actually.

4. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Is that in terms of looks or tone? Or both?
    Thanks!

5. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Are the bodies MJT/wildwood uses generally light in weight by the way?

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

I have 3 guitars made from MJT Wildwood bodies, and they are all light and very resonant. Their finishing and aging work is excellent, and if you have specific desires about the look, they will accommodate - just tell them what you want. The aging they apply to te plastics and HW also look great. Can't go wrong.

7. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Sounds awesome! I haven't seen too many of their plasics yet, but I did order some.
    Can't wait to get the body.
    If I'm in an experimental mood I might get a usacg body too and then flip the one I like least.

8. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Mark Jenny. Mark and his brother matt have a company that does high quality finish work to guitars. They also sell bodies made by wildwood that they finished on ebay.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

I haven't put the guitar together yet, so just looks, weight and resonance.

10. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MJT+Guitars

I painted an allparts neck myself and attached it to a MJT tele body. The body was lightweight and the guitar sounds incredible with Don Mare Zep pickups. I am 3 for 4 out of parts guitars turning out very well, and I think I'm about to fix the problem child guitar, which has no MJT parts on it by the way.

That guitar is in a 3 way tie for my #1.

11. monkey man

monkey man Member

Bodies are generally light in weight, finish work done to order.
    The only thing I'm not crazy about on the wildwood bodies is the neck pocket. While it seems to be in spec when comparing them to some MIM bodies, they are no where near as tight as Warmoth neck pockets. You need a shoe horn to get the necks in and out of Warmoth neck pockets in my experience, which I like.
    My only gripe, minor I suppose.

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I seem to recall mine fitting together pretty tight actually.

13. monkey man

monkey man Member

While far from sloppy, there was a little more room for movement than I prefer. Like I said, on par with some MIM Fenders I had laying around, so in spec I'm sure.
    Just curious, do you have any experience with Warmoth bodies? I have found there neck pockets to be exceptionally tight, though they do fall short in other areas.

14. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Father and Son, but I agree - quality products that are priced fairly. Great guys to work with as well.

15. gmann

gmann Member

Can't speak to the USAGC bodies as I haven't used them. MJT uses Wildwood. Decent pricing and the bodies are quality. They are not vintage accurate if that's what your going for. I know vintage can mean a lot of different specs and there is no one particular body that can be called vintage. There stuff is just basically off. Strat bodies have the upper horn that, to me, doesn't look anything like a Fender. The pup routes are overly large and I had one that had the pickguard almost not cover the route. As for Tele bodies, not router hump, which is only as important as you make it out to be. It's accurate, I expect it to be there but that's just me. They don't make a square neck pocket if you doing an early Blackguard. Again, it's just me. The quality of their bodies is as good as any, just not accurate. If it's not important to you they are a great choices. As for MJT, they are as good as it gets IMO. Quality work and some of the best folks I've ever dealt with. They go the extra mile and then a bit further to ensure customer satisfaction. I wish there were more like them in the business. There are folks out there just as good, but none better. They get my business.

16. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a partscaster T with a Jenny body, 2pc lightweight swamp ash finished in butterscotch nitro, lightly aged. The entire guitar weighs 6 lbs. 5oz.

Resonant?

Mos def.

17. baiff

baiff Member

I have 7 MJT telecasters and they are all fantastic. Tight neck pocket, great finishes, light and resonant bodies. Not sure about all of the accuracy claims other than a Fender pick guard does not fit as well as a Allparts one. Other than that, you are not going to get better for the price and service MJT provides.

18. 71strat

71strat Member

Tommy at USACG uses his 54 Strat and 53 Blackguard for bodies. It doesn't get any more accurate than that.