Mkii Fuzz Clips!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jujo, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I see sooooo many threads here about Fuzz- which one to buy, how to find the one that works with my rig, how does this one sound vs. that one, etc.... I went had those same questions myself so I know how it is.

I decided to do a service to the community and make some clips of my MKII fuzz boxes so that others make get an idea of how these things sound. Don't be fooled into thinking if you buy a MKII type fuzzbox that it's going to sound like these clips. It may, it may not. That is not the point of these clips. Fuzz is highly sensitive to pickups and amps being used. The combo of the guitar and amp used in these clips represents the best fuzz tones I can get with my gear. I have other guitars and amps, but none of them churn out the quality of fuzz that this particular combination does. I've gone thru about 4 other fuzz boxes that've since been sold because they didn't work with my rig. Fuzz goes beyond just the box on the floor- the whole signal path is involved in the final tone. Matching the fuzzbox to pickups and amps is vital. The same fuzzbox will behave differently when other guitars and amps are used.

The clips are to give an idea of how these two particular MKII pedals sound. I think the tones demonstrated are pretty much ideal for the MKII palette. These fuzzboxes will sound better or worse through others rigs, but I'm confident that the clips represent real solid MKII fuzz tones.

This is not a comparison. I own two MKII fuzz boxes so I'm showing them both- that's all.

I also threw in a clip of an Area51 wah with the buffer kit. This will show how the buffer kit allows the combination of fuzz and wah. I know there must be some people curious about how it sounds and if it really works.

I wish these clips to serve as a reference for all those on a fuzzy quest. I've been there. I hope this makes it easier for some people.

Feedback and questions are welcomed. Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Fuzzfunk

2. 6789

6789 Member

3. MKII

MKII Active Member

Good clips!

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Thanks, Jujo. Enjoyed the clips.

5. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Thanks for the clips! I'm glad I know what a MKii sounds like now.

I thought the DAM sounded like ass, IMO. (This is no knock on your demo or your playing, which was really great.) I guess I don't like the ringtone fuzz sound. It did sound a bit better at full drive where the fuzz overpowers the metallic ring sound.

The ProAnalog sounded much better to me, but still, there's something hollow/metallic about a Mkii that I don't like.

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

How subjective our ears are. I though the D*A*M pedal sounded much better than the ProAnalog. Thankfully, we have tons of tone choices! :AOK

7. starfish

Yes, but I wouldn't buy either one. I just don't like that type of fuzz sound. I prefer warmer and hairier fuzz. The metallic thing just sounds sterile to me, though I know it has a role in some classic tunage.

BTW, Roanoke is a cool place. Saw a great punk band there called MNP in 1984 ("N" is backwards, russian word for peace), the bass player is the bassist for SCOTS now. I got my picture in the Roanoke paper for having traveled 3 states to see the show, plus I had a good friend in Blacksburg - another great town. Virginia is so underated - big cool factor in its music scenes. You never hear about it, but I'd take it over almost anywhere I've been.

8. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Hell yeah dude, that was awesome!!!!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed that. Great, great tones. And it was the best wah/fuzz sound I've ever heard...i.e., it WORKED.

Doc :)

9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i, too, am from roanoke originally.....

10. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Great!! If you were able to rule out the D*A*M MKII for yourself then the clips have served their purpose. Different strokes...I really like them both so I keep them around. They both sound different with other gear, but not radically so...I think the clips give an accurate representation of how those boxes sound.

11. MKII

MKII Active Member

Does the D*A*M MKII have a higher output at full tilt than the Pro Analog?

I find my D*A*M MKII sounds more 'pure' at unity gain, if I go over that it starts to drive the amp giving a different sound.

Both pedals sound fantastic though!!!

12. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

No they're right about the same volume at filt tilt. Everything in those 2 vids was kept constant. I didn't move the camera or change any amp or guitars settings. Both fuzz boxes were at full tilt the entire time. I'm glad you enjoyed the clips!!! Fuzz on!!!

13. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Awesome!!! I'm one of the few people that actually LOVES living here. From my house I can drive 10 minutes in one direction and end up in the mountains, and 10 in the other direction and be in the center of downtown. What club did you catch that band at?

As for the fuzz tones, neither are my thing either really. But I did prefer the D*A*M over the ProAnalog. I have yet to find 'my fuzz.'

14. starfish

I don't know how I remember this but I think it was called the Grand Theater???

The last time I was in VA, I did some mountain biking in the mountains near Roanoke. Part of the Appalacian Trail. Super awesome!