MKII - Skinpimp vs. Lumpy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gendefect, Dec 18, 2009.

1. gendefect

gendefect Supporting Member

I'm looking to pick up my first Tonebender MKII clone. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Skinpimp or one from Lumpy's Tone Shop. I've heard they're both amazing and I know neither builder has been building for all that long, but has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two?

I'm sure they're both equally great, but could anyone compare any tonal differences? Where one might excel versus the other? Thanks!

2. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

I was wondering the same thing so I ordered a MKI from Lumpy and plan to order an MKII from Skinpimp.

3. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I'll confuse you some more and through out Creepy Fingers as another brand to consider. I've been beefing up on fuzz lately and these are the 3 brands I'm looking into. I got a Creepy Fingers Fuzz Nugget and its freakin amazing. I think just due to price I'm going to try a Lumpy MKIII...

Hopefully someone else has some actual insightful input though because I'm interested as well. They're probably all winners though.

4. gendefect

gendefect Supporting Member

Yep, I'm sure they're all great. I'm just wondering how each one is different. Probably each one suits different people differently, and I'm curious to hear what those differences might be so I can decide which is best for me (and hopefully others can use the same info to help them as well...)! Thanks for another interesting suggestion. I'll check Creepy Fingers out for sure!

5. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

I just ordered my first MKII from Ryan at Skinpimp. I can say the communication and entire experience has been awesome. I had a ton of questions and he seriously answered them all in the most humble manner in a very timely fashion. He gave me a lot of unbiased advice on trannies and builds. He's been a pleasure to talk with and for that alone he's earned my business.

Take that along with the thread posted here on his pedals with input from a ton of people that love fuzz who are found both here and on the D*A*M forums tells me he's got some juice. I'm talking the people I see posting have obscene collections of fuzz.

I happen to also dig when builders will do custom pedals. I called in a theme for my new baby and it's being cooked up as we speak. :)! In all, I can only report that my experience has been pretty sweet. Love being able to chat directly with the guy who's going to personally build my pedal.

Good luck and remember to have fun :)!

6. mahler

mahler Member

You can go to my thread Lumpy's Tone Benders? and there is a person who had a skin pimp and a lumpy's and compared them! I'm sure you could PM Him for even more info!h

heres the thread
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=643748

look at posts 13 and 15 for the opinions!

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i've got stuff from lumpy, skinpimp, creepyfingers, dam... its ALL fantastic. pointless in trying to debate whats better IMO. its all pretty damned amazing. huge props to SonicVI for a couple incredible builds I got from him this year as well. You just can't go wrong whatever direction you go. Seriously. Its a good time for fuzz.