MkIV: The Neglected ToneBender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PhuzzphayzZ, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:20 AM.

Tags:
  1. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

thanks, dude!
    there are loads of, errrrmm, "clips" where i'm playing all kinds of basic audio fuzzes, the dod carcosa, a caroline hawaiian pizza fuzz, AM's little peppermint fuzz or Mk1.5 etc..... not so expensive all the time, i think; but, i def play the stuff i dig, and that stuff has gotta withstand regular heavy travel, the beatings i dole-out (unfortunately, i'm verrrry clumsy) and the clarity of my amps.

2. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

3. splatt

lol.
    i had 2 years of latin, and i major-crushed on my teacher..... an amazing & gorgeous woman from trieste, who also taught my french class.

openbar likes this.
  4. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

They’re awesome things, I have a few (Pigdog, DAM, Sunbender etc.). Neglected? Nah...

fishleehooker, songtalk and splatt like this.
  5. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

My Analogman SunBender IV is one of my favorite fuzzes hands down. Like others in this thread I was always under the impression that the III and IV were basically the same but branded/manufactured different places (or box or sola sound )

here’s what Wiki says:
    Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIII, IV, Tone-Bender Fuzz
    The Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIII, and later Tone Bender MKIV, featured a tone control. It's a three transistor circuit with a germanium diode, that came in several different enclosures and is closely related to the Burns Baldwin Buzzaround.

It was available under different names and brands. Most MKIII Tone Benders are branded as Vox. The Sola Sound version is scarce. The Park Fuzz Sound and Rotosound Fuzz Box were also available with this circuit.

By 1969 the same circuit was sold in a smaller updated case as the Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV. The larger MKIII version was sold concurrently. The Carlsbro Fuzz and Park Fuzz Sound were available in the MKIV enclosure as well. By 1971 the MKIV's graphics were updated, marketing the device as the "Tone-Bender Fuzz" from that point onwards. By the mid-70's it was also available in another different enclosure, branded as the CSL Super Fuzz. The circuit was discontinued around 1976 and reintroduced in 2012, once again with MKIV graphics.

A short lived version of the MKIII with only two controls, containing a circuit with four silicon transistors exists. It probably predates the more common germanium version.

PhuzzphayzZ, MadFrank and songtalk like this.
  6. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Sounds really good! Love the cinematic energy you always have too ;)

analogmike and splatt like this.
  7. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think they are neglected, just a bit.. esoteric? Outside of the super-collectors of the D.A.M. forum crowd and the Macaris/Pigdog/Castledine/Jerms super detailed/historic curator builders, I'm guessing that for most builders there really isn't the market out there for the many variations of the later Tonebenders. Especially when you consider that there may be very little in difference in the sound to recommend one over the other. Most of these guy's go with one version they have felt they have made a great example of, and that will meet the needs of thier customers very well. Earthquaker/Park did this very well I think, so has JHS.

There are a lot of individually distinctive Tonebenders though, as someone already pointed out. 1,1.5,2,3, Vox, Supa, Zonk, Buzzaround, so my guess is again, most builders want to concentrate on these.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:59 PM
  8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Beano (set to mids) into Sunbender MkIV w/ tone & fuzz rolled back is nice.

9. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Why have I not done this?

10. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I love the buzzaround, so maybe that counts for MkIV love?

PhuzzphayzZ likes this.
  11. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

So, the JHS says, what, 1973 (or was it 1974?) Tonebender... so I assume it's a 4 cuz he's making a point of using a 'late' date?

Anyhow, everybody, great info Thread for me, definitely gets my juices a bubblin!

However, now I have no idea whether a Mk1 or Mk3/4 will be the eventual TB introduced into the PhuzzphayzZ family first.

Thanks everyone for a meaty read!

MadFrank likes this.
  12. Gig Young

Gig Young Vote twice Nov 3!! Gold Supporting Member

As thick and rich as a chocolate Sara Lee cake in a mud-wrestling contest!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    analogmike and splatt like this.
  13. splatt

i learned a lot about fuzzes from playing MkI's.

14. splatt

never tried that!
    will do.

15. openbar

NOBODY had a crush on my latin teacher, except maybe some pancake makeup salesman, hahaha.

Actually I was making a snarky comment about one point five versus four.

16. splatt

re: my Latin (and French!) teacher? i just kinda got lucky, there. first time i swooned over an incredible woman.

i think the reasoning behind folks not using Roman-numerals on the Tonebender Mk1.5..... might..... be..... that:
    it's not really a Tonebender.
    just guessin', though.

17. MadFrank

Isn't it because that up until a while ago, nobody even knew the MK.1.5 even existed? It's a retroactive designation?

PhuzzphayzZ likes this.
  18. splatt

i dunno, and i'm no historian, but i thought it was pretty well known (for a long while?) that there were 2 interim "TB 1.5"-fuzzes between the MkI TB & the birth of the Fuzz Face.
    ¿?

19. MadFrank

Yeah, totally. But I don't think it was known about until a collector opened up his pedal and noticed it. It wasn't documented even by the makers.. I'm thinking this was in the last 20 years sometime. I'm sure Mike knows much more than I do!.

20. openbar

Yet there are as many responses about 1.5 (or the analogman fanbois and their Sunbenders) as there are for 4, people didn't read the first few responses. Nothing new really. Next up: hear me complain about people that (SOMEHOW) don't know that Marshall made a pedal called the Bluesbreaker. Where's my old man emoji?