• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

MkIV: The Neglected ToneBender?

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I still really like my Spruce Effects Salt Water. It's a Mk. III derivative with at least 1 AC-125 and sometimes has two unnamed Russian Ge-transitors.

It's much less "distortiony" than the Buzzarounds that I've tried. It cleans up very well volume knob-wise and also gets big and fat when you roll it up.

It feels more like a Buzztone than a Buzzaround to me.

It "fights the power" in that it requires the employ of a power supply vs. batteries. I do wish that it took batteries but understand the builders' rationale for forcing the issue.

The below demo is fair but it doesn't show the volume knob effect which is a shame:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Yet there are as many responses about 1.5 (or the analogman fanbois and their Sunbenders) as there are for 4, people didn't read the first few responses. Nothing new really. Next up: hear me complain about people that (SOMEHOW) don't know that Marshall made a pedal called the Bluesbreaker. Where's my old man emoji?
sorry, i don't really understand what you wrote. did i say something wrong, something that irritated you?
what is the "Yet, there are....." etc line about? i don't get how it relates to my post.

i def dig a good 2-transistor 1.5, or whatever you'd like to call it.
i love some 3-transistor Supa MkI's.
there are many builders whose work i really enjoy.
i love my Sunbender MkIV, i love my Red Noise Stoneblender MkIV.

i don't really "fanboi", i'm def not angry about any of this, i play what i enjoy & what works for me; that said, while i don't have one-of-every-fuzz, i def have a pretty big bunch of varied fuzzes. i mean, i've been playing electric guitar pretty regularly for about 55 years, so.

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
Yet there are as many responses about 1.5 (or the analogman fanbois and their Sunbenders) as there are for 4, people didn't read the first few responses. Nothing new really. Next up: hear me complain about people that (SOMEHOW) don't know that Marshall made a pedal called the Bluesbreaker. Where's my old man emoji?

I think it's only natural for a thread about MK.IV Tonebenders to divert a little here and there to talk about other very closely related models. Especially when talking about comparatives, as the OP was suggesting himself.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I just assumed everybody mentioning Sunbenders (besides the ones who specifically said 1.5) were talking about the 3-knob Sunbender MKIV.

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
i don't really "fanboi", i'm def not angry about any of this, i play what i enjoy & what works for me; that said, while i don't have one-of-every-fuzz, i def have a pretty big bunch of varied fuzzes. i mean, i've been playing electric guitar pretty regularly for about 55 years, so.
I really like the Stone Bender you demoed. Wish there was a mark 3 or 4 that was a little more utilitarian, i.e. cheaper.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Appreciating @songtalk's excellent post above, there are many, many excellent options (i.e., in the same configuration with different parts values) at reasonable prices.

The Spruce variant typically sells for $125-150 and there are instances of deals at lower prices (bid up recently given that it was retired by Spruce to make way for their new line).

The Stephen Douglas Buzzaround is excellent and a snarly beast. I've seen it sell for shockingly low prices ($100 or so). It is very much in the "distortiony" camp and has a master volume control.

The Shoe Robert is a great low-volume sound-alike (reportedly has a different circuit). I've seen it sell for very reasonable prices also.

The EQD Park typically sells for ~$120.

PhuzzphayzZ

Just a friendly Bump for the morning coffee...

Since I'm certainly enjoying my new DeSade MkI, and it's giant crumbles, and its onerous tang... it even has that 'Presence'..."Tone" knob ('Four')...

It's obviously 100 pedals in one...

SO... WHAT WOULD I BE LISTENING FOR IN A 'LATTER' TONEBENDER, as opposed to the above?

Are MkIVs better behaved?, or,...

Maybe the DeSade is TOO versatile, and can cop Toanz from later eras??? Is it a Prophet?

I'll go back and re-check some Vids.

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member

Since I'm certainly enjoying my new DeSade MkI, and it's giant crumbles, and its onerous tang... it even has that 'Presence'..."Tone" knob ('Four')...

SO... WHAT WOULD I BE LISTENING FOR IN A 'LATTER' TONEBENDER, as opposed to the above?

Maybe the DeSade is TOO versatile, and can cop Toanz from later eras??? Is it a Prophet?

I only have one MK IV and am no expert. My MK IV is the newer Brazilian Face Melter and it has some DNA with the MK I. So it behaves like a MK IV but then falls apart like a MK I to some degree. Its like a crusty MK IV I guess. So yeah Mk IVs are better behaved and more often than not can be played like normal guitar rather than like fuzz, yet it is absolutely fuzz in some weird paradox. I mean as much as I love the MK I, I can have it on for a lot of stuff; its like having a tazmanian devil play operation. That is where the MK IV can come in and kinda handle it all. None of its strengths are so obvious, but it does most everything really well. That is my not too experienced take on it.

Mcentee2

I only have one MK IV and am no expert. My MK IV is the newer Brazilian Face Melter and it has some DNA with the MK I. So it behaves like a MK IV but then falls apart like a MK I to some degree. Its like a crusty MK IV I guess. So yeah Mk IVs are better behaved and more often than not can be played like normal guitar rather than like fuzz, yet it is absolutely fuzz in some weird paradox. I mean as much as I love the MK I, I can have it on for a lot of stuff; its like having a tazmanian devil play operation. That is where the MK IV can come in and kinda handle it all. None of its strengths are so obvious, but it does most everything really well. That is my not too experienced take on it.
Just got my Brazilian in the post today, have yet to have an opportunity to switch it on !!!

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
Just got my Brazilian in the post today, have yet to have an opportunity to switch it on !!!
Can't wait to hear more opinions and clips and such. I love mine. In fact, I need to play it more. That is a good sign for me though. Sometimes when I get something really, REALLY good, it almost scares me to use it too much. Like eating Filet Mignon every day or something. So this one immediately became like my Fuzz Filet Mignon. Since its a tool, I eventually will phase into using it possibly too much. Long story short, it is an absolute keeper IMO.

splatt

probably said this before, but:
doesn't need to crumble.

turn both internal switches "on".
dime both "soar" & "soar".
turn "more" up high enough for some slaughteration of your (tube) amp's input --- at very minimum 7dB hotter than "unity"-gain.

MkIV is a different beast, of course: different.

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
what is a brazilian face melter, where can i hear/see it and who makes it?
OOops. Sola Sound MK IV D Main.
They mention a transistor normally found in the MK I, and I seem to hear a MK IV usability followed by some seriously cool decay/ crumble. Its very usable, then kinda just falls apart. Ir reminds me a bit of Faceless, but its different. You ever wanna try mine, you can of course. Its seems way up your alley the way you have that spook to your sound.

Mcentee2

what is a brazilian face melter, where can i hear/see it and who makes it?
I would have thought you had a red telephone line between you and Macaris for this sort of thing ? :)

Its their new MKIV, as @fishleehooker says, built by David Main and uses one TI 2G374 usually found in a MkI, and a couple of the green Mullard OC82Ds.

Sigh, I have yet to get mine plugged in.....hoping for a great MkIV fuzz with a bit of sizzling edge to it, and that nuanced breakup when sustained.

splatt

OOops. Sola Sound MK IV D Main.
They mention a transistor normally found in the MK I, and I seem to hear a MK IV usability followed by some seriously cool decay/ crumble. Its very usable, then kinda just falls apart. Ir reminds me a bit of Faceless, but its different. You ever wanna try mine, you can of course. Its seems way up your alley the way you have that spook to your sound.

it sounds really great!

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
I would have thought you had a red telephone line between you and Macaris for this sort of thing ? :)

Its their new MKIV, as @fishleehooker says, built by David Main and uses one TI 2G374 usually found in a MkI, and a couple of the green Mullard OC82Ds.

Sigh, I have yet to get mine plugged in.....hoping for a great MkIV fuzz with a bit of sizzling edge to it, and that nuanced breakup when sustained.
I hate to keep building it up, but it really makes you wanna hold on to a chord or note the way the damn thing sizzles. Its like you can play a MK IV, then fry the decay of the note with a MK I. It doesn't gate but it def crumbles.

Trending Topics