MkIV: The Neglected ToneBender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PhuzzphayzZ, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:20 AM.

Tags:
  1. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I still really like my Spruce Effects Salt Water. It's a Mk. III derivative with at least 1 AC-125 and sometimes has two unnamed Russian Ge-transitors.

It's much less "distortiony" than the Buzzarounds that I've tried. It cleans up very well volume knob-wise and also gets big and fat when you roll it up.

It feels more like a Buzztone than a Buzzaround to me.

It "fights the power" in that it requires the employ of a power supply vs. batteries. I do wish that it took batteries but understand the builders' rationale for forcing the issue.

The below demo is fair but it doesn't show the volume knob effect which is a shame:

VooDooClown, PhuzzphayzZ and splatt like this.
  2. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

sorry, i don't really understand what you wrote. did i say something wrong, something that irritated you?
    what is the "Yet, there are....." etc line about? i don't get how it relates to my post.

i def dig a good 2-transistor 1.5, or whatever you'd like to call it.
    i love some 3-transistor Supa MkI's.
    there are many builders whose work i really enjoy.
    i love my Sunbender MkIV, i love my Red Noise Stoneblender MkIV.

i don't really "fanboi", i'm def not angry about any of this, i play what i enjoy & what works for me; that said, while i don't have one-of-every-fuzz, i def have a pretty big bunch of varied fuzzes. i mean, i've been playing electric guitar pretty regularly for about 55 years, so.

3. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it's only natural for a thread about MK.IV Tonebenders to divert a little here and there to talk about other very closely related models. Especially when talking about comparatives, as the OP was suggesting himself.

Flatscan likes this.
  4. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I just assumed everybody mentioning Sunbenders (besides the ones who specifically said 1.5) were talking about the 3-knob Sunbender MKIV.

splatt likes this.
  5. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

[​IMG]

Flatscan and PhuzzphayzZ like this.
  6. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Stone Bender you demoed. Wish there was a mark 3 or 4 that was a little more utilitarian, i.e. cheaper.

splatt and songtalk like this.
  7. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Gold Supporting Member

Smitty Pedals

openbar, Flatscan and songtalk like this.
  8. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Pigdog/Sola Sound Park Fuzz is my favorite MKIII. Really nasty! Like MKI nasty.

songtalk likes this.
  9. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Appreciating @songtalk's excellent post above, there are many, many excellent options (i.e., in the same configuration with different parts values) at reasonable prices.

The Spruce variant typically sells for $125-150 and there are instances of deals at lower prices (bid up recently given that it was retired by Spruce to make way for their new line).

The Stephen Douglas Buzzaround is excellent and a snarly beast. I've seen it sell for shockingly low prices ($100 or so). It is very much in the "distortiony" camp and has a master volume control.

The Shoe Robert is a great low-volume sound-alike (reportedly has a different circuit). I've seen it sell for very reasonable prices also.

The EQD Park typically sells for ~$120.

openbar and songtalk like this.