MM transformer Q's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Nov 3, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I'm new to understanding all of the stuff about transformers. My question is, on the price page, they have lists for the prices of their products. What is/are the differences between the 1 piece, 5 piece, 25 piece, etc. trasformers? Is the more expensive one always the way to go? Does this include the choke and all of the other stuff too? Thanks.

2. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

I believe those are prices for if you buy 1 unit, 5 units, or 25 units all at the same time. So the single unit will always be the most expensive, no difference in quality. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

3. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

You're building amps now, fenderbender4?

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

;)

5. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

No, just buying transformers by the pallet. :)

6. joel

joel Member

I absolutely believe that the most expensive ones are the best! If you want tone, order the #25 grade ones. Otherwise, you'll never know how good it could have been...

7. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

You guys are mean. ;)

8. fenderbender4

Ha! No, I'm not building amps, I'm just thinking of getting a Hayseed and sticking in a different transformer.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

All I can say is you've got it bad dude. :)

Have you tried Beano or Gasex?:D

10. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Is the output transformer supposed to be bad sounding, or very small? If not, I'd suggest leaving it alone.

11. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I also want to know why? You're gonna buy a highly rated custom amp and second guess the builder by changing the iron? Have you ever built an amp before? I dont get it...

12. fenderbender4

Wow, such bitterness. No, I heard of someone else that is doing it, plus I've heard from very Vox-minded people that Hayseeds sound a bit brighter than regular JMI TB, and that part of it may be due to the Heyboer transformers and not using the Woden.

13. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

If it's bright, it's not the OT's fault.

If the amp doesn't suit your needs and you want to modify it, changing the OT shouldn't be thought of to "add warmth", "darken the tone" and so forth. If anything you'd change the OT to possibly extend the low end, change the midrange response, or to add/remove some fine detail. You'd be much better off modifying the rest of the circuit if the amp is too bright.

14. fenderbender4

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Right now I've got so many various combinations going through my head regarding amps...like do I want a vox and marshall rig? How about BF and marshall? Or maybe BF and vox? Or do I go high gain and BF? Or high gain and Marshall? The questions just never end. BTW I also can't stand skimping on the sonic quality, so modelers are out of the question.

15. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

I see evidence of that, yes. :D

At some point you're just going to have to buy an amp...or two. :) Keep in mind no channel switcher will get you an absolutely perfect Vox clean and an absolutely perfect Marshall overdrive, unless your expectations of those sounds are different from most other people's. If you want the best of some fairly different worlds, you're going to want separate amps made specifically for each task.

16. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi James ,
    I have a question about your quote. My results differ from this slightly. I have a '78 marshall mk II. that I designated as my project amp. I started by replacing components, then the whole board with a PTP so I could tweak values more easily. I couldn't dial out this top end brightness (harshness really). I finally decided to mess with the choke and OPT. The choke was a 3.3 and I moved to a 10H. It changed the voicing slightly but in a very transparent way, very subtle. I'm not sure I would have even noticed if I hadn't a/b 'ed them. The OPT was the standard '70's Marshall changed to a MM OJ-100 SL. Big difference. Much woodier with a sweeter top end and a better definition. All the harshness was gone.

I'm certainly not a builder or anything but that's my experience.

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

An output transformer can affect the whole response of any amplifier. The primary impedance of your stock 78's OPT is the lowest Marshall used, which really works the tubes hard.
    By doing this, odd harmonics are increased, and top end harshness can be a result of this, but the output tubes can cause this as well. Especially if they're oscillating.
    Believe it or not, a 3hry choke is still a lot of filtering where its being used in the circuit, many amplifiers in the past were fitted with chokes that were "on sale", but it can make a difference tonally, there is a resistance, and a difference how a choke with 100 ohm resistance, and one with 500 ohms will respond.
    One more thing we see that can cause top end harshness is coupling capacitor choice. There are many Asian made high voltage capacitors that are horrible in high voltage tube circuits,
    most are either brown, red, blue, and green. It seems all the yellows, and orange capacitors work best without the top end side effects.
    free tip for you. Doug
    :cool: