Mob Rules vs. Heaven and Hell

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DirtLover, Feb 26, 2020.

Mob Rules or Heaven and Hell

1. Mob Rules

2. Heaven and Hell

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

That show was LOUD!

chumbucket and Jimi1983 like this.
  2. JK1965

JK1965 Member

Exactly! They were playing theaters and not the arenas they were a decade earlier. But the other part of that is as I said previously, Dehumanizer was largely missed by many at the time. Just reading through this thread it’s pretty clear that many here never really either heard it or really listened to it like the did the first two. It’s all in the timing. 10 years in the music bizz is a long time. Kids grew up and didn’t bother to even find out if bands from their “time” were still going. Only true diehards followed it. There was no social media either. So many missed this monumental album and it never got the credit it deserves and never will. H & H was a huge surprise after Ozzy was gone. No doubt. Mob Rules and it were a huge part of my soundtrack. Dehumanizer is the best album they ever did. They weren’t capable of that in the early 80’s. But music is like food. There’s no wrong answer.
    I’d say if you missed the 1992 classic, get it and spend some time with it. It reveals some amazingly viscous crushingly heavy memorable moments that just keep coming throughout the album. Very much old school Sabbath meets new in a way they never captured the first time around.

chumbucket and Vaifan like this.
  3. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Same! This was the song I put on a full blast in my room when I pissed at my parents.

HoweFan likes this.
  4. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

BS influences run deep and this totally reminds me of Children of the Sea:

I still voted MR, but I'm really diggin' HnH!

5. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

I've never listened to Dehumanizer but according to many, I'm missing out on a classic. I'll report back with my findings...

JK1965 likes this.
  6. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Both great records, as was the lesser-known "Dehumanizer".
    And while tunes like "Lady Evil" and "Die Young" not my faves, the rest of the Heaven & Hell record is so fine. But - more so - Bill Ward plays and is recorded/mixed so great on H&H. All the tones/mixing very special c/o Martin Birch.

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

If you listen to fools...come on, no contest! ;)

freedom's door likes this.
  8. Plaid Sabbath

Plaid Sabbath Silver Supporting Member

Mob Rules, no question. "Slipping Away" is such a badass, greasy riff. It's such a blast to play on guitar, bass and drums. The call and response bass and guitar solos are just delicious.

In reference to some earlier posts...Vinny Appice doesn't swing? That's just silly talk.

9. tommyg

tommyg Member

"Turn on the Night" was the first track I've ever heard with Dio in Black Sabbath...and fell in love with it. So...Mob Rules for me!

10. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

You sound like the kind of Dio nut I am lol.Anything he's sang on, I've had to hear it. I love that so much of his pre-Elf stuff is available online but I feel he really found his voice with Elf.

I do love Heaven and Hell but I think I might have to pick Mob Rules. I think my favorite Dio era Sabbath tune might be Falling Off the Edge of the World.

freedom's door and skhan007 like this.
  11. panther_king

panther_king Supporting Member

Can I vote The Last in Line and Holy Diver?

12. viper

viper Member

If you can, find the remastered version that was originally released as part of "The Rules Of Hell" box set that included all Dio era discs. The original from 1993 or whenever it was is pretty bright and trebly (sounded like Vin was banging trash cans) with much less bass presence. The remaster is one of the better ones I've heard- bass is more punchy, warm, and dynamic. Volume levels are great too, which is more than I can say on others that are too harsh sounding.

Love Geezer's little run around 1:08 here

JK1965 likes this.
  13. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Heaven and Hell for some great songs!
    The Mob Rules for amazing tone!

Really, a couple of great classic metal albums!

14. viper

viper Member

Love reading the discussion on this one. You can't go wrong with either because there are classics on both but if I had to pick one it would be Heaven and Hell because of the title track. Such a massive, earth shaking riff that still sends a chill up my spine. The only song that falls just short for me is "Walk Away", which is a little too happy sounding compared to the rest of the disc. Still, it's a good cut and Ronnie sounds great on it. However, it falls after H&H, Wishing Well, and Die Young (and then followed by Lonely Is The Word) so it's in an odd spot.

Mob Rules is great and falls just a hair short but just barely. Voodoo, Sign Of The Southern Cross, Falling Off The Edge Of The World, Mob Rules... holy cow. What killers.

It's funny looking back on Sabbath. I pretty much moved from the local Top 40 station to AOR in 1980 so my Sabbath/Ozzy relationship is a bit skewed. Dio Sabbath has always been my fave and I look at Vinny Appice as the Sabbath and Dio drummer because I started reading a lot of Hit Parader and Circus mags at the time and for a while it was "Ozzy vs Dio". Sure, I heard Ozzy Sabbath (mostly only Paranoid which I love) but I grew up with solo Ozzy.

15. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

The Dehumanizer album cover was adolescent.

16. Boston617

Boston617 Member

I was at their second to last show ever (August 2009 in Boston). Sign of the Southern Cross was not played, but Falling was.

Funny enough, the one thing that bummed me out about that show was the opener. Coheed & Cambria. Puke.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  17. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Love them both but I heard Mob Rules before Heaven and Hell and I played that album almost daily for a year as a teen so I gave my vote to Mob Rules.

Even when they did the Sabbath/Heaven and Hell reunion in the 2000s they were still killing it. For me Ronnie's stints erased Ozzy in my mind.

18. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

I saw the Mob Rules tour. It was spectacular. A different time. Love both these albums and really anything by Sabbath or Dio. My vote goes to Mob Rules.

19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

I had front row seats for Dehumanizer in front of Tony (which was not far from the pa. Sabbath never had a reputation for being that loud as they were at that show ( and I saw them a few times).

20. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

There was an extra track on the CD single which I think was TV Crimes.

JK1965 likes this.