Mockup of my next build - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brainhurricane, Apr 25, 2015.

1. brainhurricane

brainhurricane Member

Hello, Everyone -

I do about 1 build per month, normally using parts I have lying around, parts I fabricate, or parts I get good deals on. That being said, I typically don't do any mockups/design work beforehand (except in my head). I decided to change that behavior for this upcoming build and used my very limited skill in photo manipulation to develop this mockup:

[​IMG]

I already have the Ash JM body and a very nice pau ferro/flamed maple neck. This mockup is, obviously, created using the Warmoth body creator (thanks, Warmoth!) - the color will not be 100% (using Wudtone T Bird) so there will be visible grain (which I am a huge fan of, especially with ash).

Now I wanted to get some opinions from you guys - I got the body as an absolute STEAL (didn't fabricate myself) - my only complaint is that it is rear routed, which is a bit awkward on a JM (the cavity is on the lower bout). Using this split JM pickguard from Warmoth, I am confident I can squeeze the volume/tone in on the pickguard (just so it doesn't look odd with controls that aren't on/through the pickguard). I am pretty positive that I cannot squeeze the switch in and have it comfortably functional, which is why I've mocked it up on the upper pickguard - this will require a bit of routing under the pickguard to place the switch.

Pickups, I'm thinking SD Phat Cat neck, still undecided on the bridge pickup.

Please feel free to share your thoughts/opinions!

2. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

3. archey

archey Member

Looks cool to me!

4. transmission

transmission Supporting Member

Londoner currently enjoying life in Sweden
    Looks good, the split pickguard is a nice idea!

I'm not such a fan of that colour, but what you like is what matters.

I would go for a Staytrem bridge if money is no object, or a regular Mustang bridge if watching the pennies.

Have you considered painting the headstock to match the body, or do you want to show off the flame?

What sounds/tone are you going for? Hard to suggest pickups without knowing.

In terms of the bridge pickup, if it were me, there would be a few different non PAF pickups (but all PAF sized) I would consider -

- Novak WRHB
    - Novak Goldfoil (it's a DeArmond Rowe type, not Teisco) - they custom make regular PAF size pickup rings for it
    - Roadhouse Vista (Valco/Supro reproduction, think Jack White).

I have the Novak Goldfoil in a Jazzmaster, I like it a lot.

5. brainhurricane

brainhurricane Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

For the bridge I bought a Mustang modified bridge from Warmoth - the neck is 12" so I wanted the height adjustment for each saddle.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the exact color I'm going for - more blue/slightly darker than daphne is my goal.

And yeah, I'd prefer to keep the headstock natural (neck will be very lightly finished in Tru oil - it was previously finished in Tru oil but I applied too many coats and didn't like the way it felt). So, this will be finish #2.

As for pickups...I don't know yet. Don't have to figure that out for a while. I've got PAF style pickups in one of my other guitars, so I'm trying to decide if I want to do a more vintage pickup or go with something higher output.

And for the neck I'm torn between the SD Phat Cat and the Railhammer Gnarly 90.

Decision, decisions.

6. monty

monty Member

7. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    a thought for your bridge pickup: WCR Godwood bridge pickup - its a hot wind with plenty of oomph but still a fat PAF tone - I have one in my McCarty and it's not going anywhere, ever.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Back rout so use no pickguard and expand the control cavity rout if needed.

10. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

You build a guitar a month , how many do you have love to see pictures

11. brainhurricane

brainhurricane Member

The pickguard is purely for aesthetic purposes.

And I'd like to keep it to $100 or less per pickup, if possible.

12. Davo17

Davo17 Member

The word sexulent is thrown around a lot these days...but in this case, it fits. Could see it working with blocks/binding as well.

13. Buelligan

Buelligan Member

I've never heard that word before, but I'm going to start using it. A lot.

Love the mock-up.

14. brainhurricane

brainhurricane Member

If I didn't already have the neck I'm going to use I would've gone with a bound neck (cream binding). The flame on the neck I have should make up for the relative lack of flash, however :D

15. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member