Mod Devices Dwarf, kickstarter device.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Uncle_Fester, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Jumi

Jumi Member

The promise of the mod dwarf is to be smaller, cheaper, and still way more powerful. So maybe the latency is now ok ?
    I really enjoyed the mod duo a few years ago but it was still in early development and I was kind of impatient so I sold it.
    The Zoia has had more success, still both products are really similar.
    The Dwarf could be an easier to use and more powerful Zoia. I'll do the kickstarter.

2. Jumi

Jumi Member

Btw, it allows something that the Hx Stomp, or even the FM3 don't : complex routing options. For exemple it will be possible to have two instruments with their own cab sim and effects. The only other multi effect that does that for under 600€ is the Zoia.

Viabcroce likes this.
  3. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

You get an answer on latency? For the things I want to do with it (weird stuff) I don't need absolute low latency but obviously if it's crazy high it won't be playable.

4. TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Member

They just messaged me back saying that they haven’t measured the latency yet. It’s 8ms for both the Duo and the X, and if the Dwarf is between both of those in terms of power, I’m not sure the Dwarf will be better. But who knows? I will need to know that info before committing to a purchase, however.

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I won't be using it for Amp modeling so maybe 8 ms would be acceptable, hard to know without trying and I'd be trying blind here. Hmmmm....

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I went ahead and pledged for the beta as the early birds were sold out, so we'll find out around October.

7. slooky

slooky Member

I think it looks awesome. I was looking at the Mod Duo to but found it a little pricey. This might work for me. Endless effects and new ones added all the time.

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

For anyone interested, they blew away their initial goal in less than a day and are nearing their 3rd stretch goal.

Goal 1: (met) All Dwarfs will ship with OverTone DSP DT-1 Distortion, PH-1 Phaser, CR-1 Chorus, and WAH-1 Autowah
    Goal 2: (met) All Dwarfs will ship with K-Devices TTAP and WOV
    Goal 3: (at 175,000, currently at 158,334 ) All Dwarfs will ship with Looperlative Double Looper

9. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Goal 3 met, goal 4 at 200,000 is an IR set and accompanying application.

Viabcroce likes this.
  10. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

From the link in the OP:
    «The Dwarf offers no limitations on the number of units you can use at the same time. Would you like three delays, four pitch-shifters, four distortions and two amplifiers in the same patch? No worries. Your patches, your rules»

11. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Limitless in their context is twofold:

1. Since the unit is open source, there is no limit on effects development. As long as folks continue to contribute there's will be new effects available.
    2. The architecture is open and only limited by the power of the unit. So as long as one has processor power available one can load any type of effect in any order in in any number of paths.

I'm excited by the "weirdness" possible from the unit. Looking forward to trying it out this fall.

12. the swede

the swede Member

I can see myself trying the dwarf... Im kinda interested to the ”openess” of the thing. I have no doubts about sound/tones...

what is a huge deal though, is how thing perform practically. If its a ”Helix stomp” with three snapshots (as an example) i would pass. I need more functianality than that.

for example, can the dwarf do 8 snasphots? Seeing that it has three switches we can obviosly think out that then we must have a ”snasphot scroll” mode either via the three switches there or an external switcher.

these kind of things are more interesting for me... in my LT use 4stomp/4snap mode, wich obviously is very practical as i can without hassle go between any of those snapshots while also having access to 4 stomps AND 4 more stomp if i hit the Mode switch.

If the Dwarf can/will do almost that, Im in.. but it would better be more function featured than a HX stomp... number of effects and processing power is just not that important anymore.. imho. To be able to play like one would want, is more important... for me that is :D

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Didn't connect the dots earlier but now that I think of it, the Dwarf kinda reminds me of the Poly Digit pedal that I mentioned in my NAMM coverage. The Poly doesn't do everything the Dwarf claims but it has a touchscreen, crazy routing options, and is a fully-realized product.

[​IMG]

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I'm unsure at the moment of how they implement snapshots, but it has TRS MIDI connections (which should allow one to use a MIDI controller to do pretty much anything), can function as a USB host (which allows for example plugging in a Fishman Triple Play), and has a MOD control port (to use their expansion footswitch: https://www.moddevices.com/products/mod-footswitch). In theory way more flexible/powerful than the HX Stomp, quality wise...we shall see. My bet is latency is going to be higher than the stomp and the quality of effects will be hit or miss, but for doing "weird stuff" this thing is going to be golden.

the swede likes this.
  15. the swede

the swede Member

well, in theory... I would only need max 3 really good amp sims. IRs I have already and trust those. I bet there are very good amps already in it from the start. This company can't do any "less" than to be on par with the competition... otherwise they will not make it.

The controller look good enough to me!

16. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

They are a very small company so I don't know if their goal is really H2H competition with Line 6 and Boss. I know they offer the Guitarix Linux amp modeler, never tried it but it's free if you have a Linux system to try it out. YOu can listen to MOD sample pedalboards here: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/ My general concern is based on years of using open source VSTs, the quality can be all over the place. For example, it appears they have the MDA plugin collection, stuff I was using a decade or more a ago when I was using a bunch of free VSTs. Good for free but there's much better stuff out there now. Pretty much all the sample based synth instruments are based on old SoundFonts, very outdated tech which was all over the place in the early VST days. Conversely, when unbound by commercial limitations creativity flows more freely for example they have all kinds of pitch shifting and glitchy noise making plugs...just a mixed bag which is impossible to really know the overall quality until one really gets to audition first hand.

the swede likes this.