• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mod my Maxon OD9?

Hugh DaMann

I just bought one these used for a really good price and am considering the Analogman Silver mod along with adding the Bad Bob Boost. (I love the Bad Bob and wish I hadn't sold mine years ago.) Does the mod make that big of a difference? Does anyone prefer it I modified?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ufo~

Silver mod made a big difference to my ears. I say go for it. analog.man knows what's up when modding tubescreamers.

Hugh DaMann

Thanks gerraguitar. Did you not like the difference or was it not noticeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerraguitar

To me there wasn't enough of a difference, and don't get me wrong I love what he does with tubescreamers, but it's so good on it's own.

But it's not like you'll hate it if you do mod it. I did the same thing, I got the 808 used and getting it modded turned out to be less than a new reissue. If the price is right then sure, but it's fine how it is.

JackStraw12

Im a big fan of the Silver mod, although the Maxon's are grat in their own right. Makes it a little more transparent than a typical TS.

Hugh DaMann

Im a big fan of the Silver mod, although the Maxon's are grat in their own right. Makes it a little more transparent than a typical TS.

Does it still cut through in a band situation? I'm playing with another guitarist and a keyboardist.

JackStraw12

Does it still cut through in a band situation? I'm playing with another guitarist and a keyboardist.

Yes this still some mids, but more natural sounding I guess. It sounded good in the 2 guitar band I was in. I'd try it before sending it in though

Fulldrive-1

Check the chip. If it's not a JCR4558 or RC4558P, then pull it, solder in a socket and go to town.

Check the output resistors, If they're not 10K and 100 ohms, replace 'em.

$1 worth of parts here.

Rock on.

Hugh DaMann

Check the chip. If it's not a JCR4558 or RC4558P, then pull it, solder in a socket and go to town.

Check the output resistors, If they're not 10K and 100 ohms, replace 'em.

$1 worth of parts here.

Rock on.
I'm pretty certain the OD9 has the JCR4558.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I'm pretty certain the OD9 has the JCR4558.
It does. I've had one for years, on and off my board but I won't part with it. I keep meaning to send it off to Analogman for the "Brown" mod myself but I never really get around to sending it in. It really does sound so good as is and so much better than the current Ibanez TS-9. So much better built too.

Top Bottom