Mod the DSL? or Submit to the Splawn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ConcreteVampire, Sep 26, 2005.

1. $800 into my good ol DLS.
    Need/want/like Clean/dirty/Crazy
    Dont like anymore, fizzyness, no usable third/lead channel, lack of 800 style balls...

Voodoo/FJA/etc... mod $350-$400
    Fixes above...

Used Splawns, comin in around $1100-1300... 3 Gears, lead boost, clean channel, etc...
    (Occasional Bray, Diaz contenders...)

Have heard up close Splawns set on stun... Beautiful Plexi complexity!

To Mod, or Submit... that is the Question...

(Before you recomend Jackson/5150/etc... owned many amps, just still a Marshall fan after all those "Other" Women...)

Cheers! now, empty your brains in my post please....

:dude

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I personally love DSL's (as you know). But I'd recommend a Splawn before modding a DSL.

3. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

a splawn won't get you the pretty clean sounds you'll get from the DSL...but OD sounds from the splawn are untouchable IMO

i like the dsl series amps more than most, and i can't say i've played a modded ones...but the splawn stuff has never ceased to impress me

4. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I heard the newer Splawn with the separate EQ is much better. Are you referring to the older or newer Splawn or are all Splawn cleans bad?

5. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

when i played the splawns, i didn't spend much time on the clean...i won't say they're bad, but the DSL has an exceptionally good clean in comparison

i've not played the new seperate EQ model, but as far as i know the actual clean tone is the same...i did spend a few minutes playing with the cleans on the old one i tried, but not enough to really dig into it (those hi gain tones kept me very distracted :cool: )

6. rgt320

rgt320 Guest

+1

7. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Ill have to kindly disagree on this one. I have a brand new Splawn Pro-Mod with the sep. EQ. And the clean tones for me personally are some of the best Ive heard in a channel switcher with that much gain on tap.

Ive played the older version Quick Rod too. It had more of a "dirty clean", a little grit added in on it, more of an SRV type of sound.

Mind you, Im about to sell the Splawn. And the main reason Im having problems parting with it are the clean tones. Ive figured out Im just not a Marshall distortion type of guy. Great amps though, super solid quality and construction. The recto-style distortions just suit my style better.

No spam intended, just wanted to add my .02!

8. Thanks for the info guys, and Thump I know we stand united with the DSL but the Modded 800 I had way back was such a MONSTER...

Any other makers in that used range anyone can think of?

9. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

maybe a used framus dragon if you can find one?

10. ebay $1850!!

Although it's the only one there....

11. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

surely that's for a new one? i only paid $1950 for my cobra brand new

usually they go for about $12-1400 used

12. Cool I'll try and check one out...

It's just that I really don't hear much about modded DSL's.... maybe for a reason...

13. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

It's just that I really don't hear much about modded DSL's.... maybe for a reason...

We actually mod far more TSL's than the DSL's but I suspect it's mainly to do the fact that the TSL has independent EQ for each channel. With that being said they are very much the same design but you have a lot more options or versatility with the TSL (for obvious reasons--ha, ha).

if you have any other questions regarding the mods please feel free to call the shop and ask to speak to me directly. I would be happy to talk with you about what you are looking for, what your needs are, the style of music you are into and then make certain if the mod will get you what you want or is the Splawn is the way to go.

Have a great Wednesday morning! :)
    Trace