Modal Grooves

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cdaloia, Mar 5, 2008.

1. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

I have a bunch of slow funk grooves on my site (free) that cover the modes of the major scale a few (and most often used by me) of the melodic minor and sym dim stuff. Cool to practice over if you're working on that material. Scroll to the bottom and download away! All start on A.......

Chuck

http://www.chuckdaloiamusic.com/id2.html

2. JohnM

JohnM Member

On a side note, your playing is way huge! I heard clips just the other day on your site. Great stuff.

3. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Another vote for your great sound clips! Great playing and tone. Thanks for the backing tracks as well.

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Chuck! Very cool. I was practicing to them last night. :AOK

5. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Thanks Tag (and others ; )
    I hope they are helpful.

Chuck

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Me too! I need all the help I can get! :mad:

7. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Tag,

I know that you have this all under your fingers so your endorsement means alot.

The exercise is to follow the melodic/rhythmic idea (first thing that you play) and see if you can commit to it and develop it......make melodic statements. Improvise in the moment based on the past thing that you played. We all have our hot licks that don't need practice....

Thanks bud!

Chuck

8. Free

Free Member

Chuck, those modal backing tracks are great. Thanks for sharing, kind sir!

-Mike

9. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

Ive been getting some good shedding out of playing over a track on a single string. then once i go through all the single strings play on different combinations of strings.

10. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Hey, glad you guys are getting something from these.
    Remember, try to keep melodic/rhythmic ideas happening through out that are connected. Play as if you were the listener. What would you like to hear after that last phrase? Make sense?

Chuck

11. gennation

gennation Member

Yeah, these are great Chuck. I spent some time going through them over the weekend. Great stuff to dig in with. Thanks for posting them.

12. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    It's a trip how it's the same groove, but you can just blast off and not get bored on all of the tracks

Thanks, chuck

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I'm jammin' on 'em now :RoCkIn:RoCkIn:RoCkIn

14. gennation

gennation Member

Chuck, is it ok to use these cuts for lesson purposes? I'm sure for private lessons they'd be good, but what about Internet lessons?

The reason I'm asking is...edited... to simulate some Modal changes I work on. I think they will will come out pretty good. But I would end up with "Two to Three Chord Modal Grooves".

Any objections? I'd definitely pass them back to you. They would make great tools for being able to move/play through tonal-centers in a Modal progression.

15. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Mike,

Do you mean that you would be using them for your internet lessons?
    You know, making a profit?
    My next installment is going through the keys. I have a whole edu thing based around this material that I plan on marketing and posted these to get people's attention.
    I certainly can't stop you but would prefer that you didn't make a profit off of my work by going ahead with your proposal.
    By all means do whatever you like for your own personal use. I'm glad that you are finding this useful. Much more to come, working on the format, etc.....

Thanks so much for asking, I really appreciate it.

Chuck

16. gennation

gennation Member

No, there would definitely be no profit at all.

I hope I didn't offend you because I know you put the work into this and I don't want it to sound like I "want" to take it at all. I hope it didn't sound too brash.

I thought about what I typed this morning and had a better idea...

I'll mess with them a bit and if they come out worth a darn I'll send them to you. If you like them you can post links on your site, then if I'm doing a modal lesson of something I can link/reference to your site to get them...

does that sound like a better plan???

If not, I COMPLETELY understand. I really didn't mean to sound pushy or anything. I should've brought this up in a PM.

17. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Mike,

That's a great idea. I appreciate your consideration and was a bit confused when I read your post. No offense taken at all. Thanks for the clarification.
    I like your idea. That way we are both benefitting from the material.

Chuck

18. vhollund

vhollund Member

I'm just listening to a secund track
    Its really a pleasure listening to
    I really dig the raw/dryness of your rythmtracks
    Cool inspiration thanks!

19. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Thanks Vaughn,

The modal tracks are on the bottom. If you don't know all of the scales then start there. Even one octave is OK, then shoot for two etc......

Just to revisit, a good exercise is to commit to the first thing that you play and see how long you can develop the melodic/rhythmic idea.

Another thing that we talked about in another post is to practice the scale using 4 notes and all four fingers on each string. Then on to the next string. Start on the A (6th string, 5th fret) all the way up and back. I find this to help my knowledge of the neck.

Also learning the triad ( in some cases, triads ) that start on each note of the scale. Then you can move on to 7th chords, etc...

The whole point of all of this is to be so familiar with the material in your ear and on the the neck that you can freely improvise over that sound without over thinking.

There's a lot that you can work on w/ these grooves, use your imagination once you get the fundamental aspect's together.

Hope you guys are finding these useful. More to come in the future.

Chuck

20. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Chuck great stuff thanks