Modded Blues driver BD-2 keeley vs. analogman

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 16, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Which one do you like better? Why? I just heard the keeley finally and was impressed but how is analog mans?

2. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I've heard great things about both, but after listening to clips on cmat's site, I decided to go with his H20 mod on my bd-2 for less $ than either keeley or AM. The clip on his site definitely sold me...it sounds amazing: http://www.cmatmods.com/MODS/MODS.htm#H2O

3. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I had the AM BD-2/Super for about a year & loved it - I was using it a clean boost & it is amazingly transparent & strong sounding. The gain at about 9-10 oclock gets a great mild bluesy crunch that is very natural (into my Matchless Clubman) , and the only reason I sold it was to feed my ZVex jones (SuperDuper 2n1), otherwise I'd still have one. Highly recommended!

4. Dana

Dana Guest

I may be in the minority here, but after owning the Keeley DS-1, Blues Driver, and Compressor, I have come to a conclusion. I don't like Keeley pedals. I have an Analogman Bi Comp that I like a lot.

JMO and YMMV

5. gpro34

gpro34 Member

6. gpro34

gpro34 Member

No one else here has heard these? I thought more people would have tried these.

7. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

How does it work the mod? I mean you buy the parts and you do the mod yourself following some how-to-do-it manual?
    Or you must send your pedal and they do the mod?

8. Dana

Dana Guest

Perhaps I'm being unfair on Mr. Keeley. After experimenting and owning many BOSS pedals, it might be that I've grown to dislike their sound. Not sure what to call it, but to me the BOSS pedals have a processed tone, and Keeley's mod's don't seem to make an improvement, in my opinion. I did prefer my stock BD-2 over a modded one I bought from him. I ordered a Keeley Compressor from him too, but there was no attack knob (it's on the inside of the pedal) and I thought his settings had too much compresson for my rig (Ghia into a Marshall 2x12") so back it went. YMMV.

My next 'blues' type pedal is going to be a Blues Pro, if ever I can get my hands on one. As for compressors, I have a Bi-Comprossor from Analogman that I like, although I mostly use the Ross side. I just ordered a Diamond Compressor so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

9. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I sent my pedal in, he modded it and sent it back. It was gone about a week, and the tone is NOTICABLY different. I now have all 5 dirt pedals on hand for my shootout.

MI audio: blues pro and crunch box
    cmat h2o modded bd-2
    subdecay liquid sunshine
    jacques tube blower

I'll post some details in a separate post I think.

10. rewog

rewog Member

All the mods he has listed are ones developed by Monte Allums I believe - it seems the 2 are working together now but the mods are available as a DIY from Allums' sites.
    Allums seems to have a good ear.

11. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I love the clips and I have the same pickups in my guitar and same amp
    Buyiiiiiing right nooow :Devil

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have a couple of friends who have Blues Drivers, one who uses the Keeley and the other uses the Analog Man. I've played the Keeley one a bit more than the Analog Man, and I wasn't too keen on it, it seemed to add a more dirt to the pedal with the switch on it. It sounded ok, but not what I was going to use it for. As for the Analog Man, I've haven't played it very much, but my friend uses it on his board as his main drive and it sounds awesome. I ended not going with either of them, and had my buddy Nate just screw with the tone pot so that it actually worked, and that was all I needed.

13. blueprint

blueprint Member

14. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I have a Keeley BD-2 Phat mod Blues Driver pedal. I use it as a clean boost on the clean channel of my amp or a clean lead boost stacked with my Analogman SD-1/808 brown/push/pull selector mod. The Phat switch is cool for thickening up single coil pickups. The pedal is kind of bright after the mod so I keep the tone control down to 9:00. I found the pedal to have better tone control range than stock, very quiet (not a wash of white noise), and the gain is smooth sounding. After 12:00, the gain gets a bit fuzzy which can provide a cool sound. The Phat switch also provides another option in sound as well.

I would have had Mike Piera at Analogman modify my stock BD-2 to his BD-2/Super, but he won't take credit cards over the phone and I don't do Pay Pal.:mad: The good thing is I already have his DD-2 High cut mod, DS-1/Super mod and his SD-1/808 brown/push/pull selector mod. Both Analogman and Keeley Electronics provide great sounding pedal mods for those humble stock Boss pedals.

Guitar George

15. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I had keeley throw in a high cut switch for this very reason...it was $25 and it's extremely useful.

16. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

I thought I would bring this thread back since I am interested in this pedal and am trying to decide on which mod to get. I've searched the forums but would like to hear from others also.

17. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

The Analogman modded BD-2 seems to be a bit more true to the original tone of the pedal. It has the same basic feel, just a bit more rounded and organic. The Keeley modded BD-2 seems to have slightly more refined clipping, not as chunky. They are both great pedals, and you can't really go wrong either way!

18. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

My only finding is that I prefer Keeley stuff with single coils (especially a strat) & the Analogman stuff with HB's. To be honest I've used compressors & ODs from both and if I can't get a good tone out of a product made by either of these guys then it's my own fault!

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I have the Keeley BD-2, and it's a great sounding OD...It records very nicely as well...works well withy Marshalls or Tweed Fenders

20. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

I decided to buy an Analogman BD-2. The positive's over a stock BD are the tone control has a better range, much more transparent and dynamic. It can go from clean boost to nasty. Pretty cool.