Modded Boss DS-1: Analogman or Keeley?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HereIGoAgain, Feb 28, 2008.

1. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I remember liking my bone-stock DS-1, but for me, it was only good for that "chainsaw" sound. Now, I've got a great amp, a great guitar, and I'm becoming a pedal junkie again. (Too many pedals I want (Crunch Box, Blues Pro, Blues Boy, Maxon OD9, etc. and not enough money :( )I've been lurking on both the Analogman site and the Robert Keeley site. They each do a DS-1 mod, and they are both at a good price point. Hey, nothing wrong with building a closetload of pedals one at a time, right?

Which one would you start with? Anyone have both? The Keeley mod has the tone switch, but I could add an upgrade to the Analogman Pro mod for a fine mid adjustment.

Or, other than the bells and whistles, are the pedals different enough from the stock DS-1 to justify the price difference from the stock one? (No offense, AnalogMike or Mr. Keeley, just asking for opinions.)

Thanks.

2. Spudman

Spudman Member

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have heard really good things on the Indyguitarist mod.

For what its worth, last I had heard Steve Vai had switched to Analogman's instead of Keeley like he used to use.

4. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Haven't tried the Indy DS-1, but my Indy BSM BD-2 crapped all over the Keeley BD-2 I had.

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I had the Keeley DS-1 with the Ultra mod. It was cool....but I didn't really bond with it. Seemed like you really needed to crank your amp to get to the really good sounds in the pedal.

7. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

8. rongtr

rongtr Member

Analog Man, without a doubt!!

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I'm using a CMATMods Tri-Rectifier modded DS-1 right now (i think it's the Monte Alums mod?) on the LED clipping option, and it greatly improved that horrible buzzsaw stock pedal into a grooving growling beastie.

10. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

i have both....i use the keeley for heavy rhythm and the analogman w/mid control for leads.....mid control is a must to help this pedal cut through in a mix......

11. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

Chad Mods -$50 turns the Ds1 into a rectifier. Had it back in les than a week. Excellent service price and results. Found him on TGP

12. jtwang

jtwang Member

If you don't mind making a full 180 I'd suggest just lifting the clipping diodes. A super easy mod that basically turns the DS-1 into a clean boost with some bluesy dirt and character. I like it a lot.

13. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

This thread is one of the things I like about the TGP. I'm learning towards the indyguitarist mods right now, with Analogman being a close second.

To give some backstory, I've got plenty of options for bluesy growl and boost (my MXRs are more than tiding me over, but I still want lots of pedals). However, I'm having difficulty finding a super high gain pedal that, well, doesn't suck. I tried an NYC Big Muff, and it renders guitars faceless and sounds bad. There are tons of "metal" pedals out there, but I want something that will still be responsive and let the guitar shine through.

I picked the DS-1 because I'm familiar with the stock pedal, and there are tons of modders out there.

Oh, to the guy who made the point about the Keeley mod not sounding right without a cranked amp, that's info I consider important. With dist pedals, some suck at anything less than "Marshall half-stack on 10" volume, and some are great in the bedroom, but sound fake in the arena. I'm looking for a "best of both worlds" pedal that will be good regardless of how loud I've got the amp.

Please keep the ideas coming. Thanks again.

14. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

15. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

I'll quote a Pixies lyric: "it's educational" :BEER

16. Electric I

Electric I Member

How a vid should be done. No nonsense with minimal meandering.

Diggin' the vintage mod of the two.

Stock is the proverbial can o beezzz.