Modded gretsch 6128ee duojet

lefty kwan

I've owned this guitar since 2003. It's my most expensive guitar and nicest build easily. I'd put it up against anything, that's how nice the build is.
The one thing I found was the volume controls didn't roll off like my strats or tele. Yesterday I disconnected the master volume and now I get proper roll off. In fact both pickups sound better, middle position sounds awesome and even the mud switch sounds better. Such a simple mod made a huge difference. Almost a new guitar for Christmas. Pax

Whittlez

I've owned this guitar since 2003. It's my most expensive guitar and nicest build easily. I'd put it up against anything, that's how nice the build is.
The one thing I found was the volume controls didn't roll off like my strats or tele. Yesterday I disconnected the master volume and now I get proper roll off. In fact both pickups sound better, middle position sounds awesome and even the mud switch sounds better. Such a simple mod made a huge difference. Almost a new guitar for Christmas. Pax

Awesome

Sometimes the simple things ...

Clyde Billt

Gold Supporting Member
Disconnected as in bypassed or unsoldered/cut the connections off the pot?
Sounds interesting.

lefty kwan

Yeah I looked up wiring diagram from tv jones and disconnected the master volume. I've messed with the wiring over the years so I can't really remember everything. As of yesterday it's now neck volume, bridge volume, 3 way selecter and mud switch. Sounds the best it ever has and I get the full range of the filtertrons from the volume controls.

Carbohydrates

When you have a master volume plus individual pickup volumes, then as soon as you start rolling them down, your pot load is going to get intense, especially with higher value pots. Things are gonna get silly muddy, and fast. It can take some real fine tuning to make a setup like this sound good, and you may have to tweak your pot and cap values carefully. Or, you can nix the whole thing and lose the master volume. That's my preference.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
By far the biggest tone improvement on my EE (stock wiring setup) was putting a NOS Cornell Dubilier cap on the mud switch. It went from one usable position and 2 mud to 3 very usable ones, huge improvement.

lefty kwan

The 1st mod I did to this guitar was experiment and change the cap values in the mud switch. It took me quite a few tries before I was happy but I haven't touched them since. After removing the master volume the mud switch sounds much better in all positions and are very usable throughout the the range of both pickups volume controls. I can't believe the difference in the tone, it's much more open and round if that makes sense.

Trending Topics