modded my latest SD-1 - shocked!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by snow and steel, Jan 21, 2015.

1. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I picked up a Taiwan made SD-1 for $10 quite a while ago. They make nice loaner pedals for jams and what not, but I hadn't really used it in forever. I go to looking at it the other day and thought "Why not?" and popped it open.

I changed out C2 and C3 for a military grade 0.1UF cap, and removed C6. I cleaned up a couple connections too. This added more bass and removed the blanket.

WOW!:eeks

Its actually a REALLY good sounding pedal now! it still has a touch of the mid hump in it, but it doesn't sound so flat and one dimensional now. whatever bass goes in is also what goes out, and the tone knob now responds like a normal tone knob. A really solid sounding pedal that I might try out live soon - I'm impressed!

2. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

If a BOSS pedal can be underrated, the SD-1 is. Very capable, solid tone, and of course BOSS's nuclear apocalypse-resistant build quality. My other guitar player has a Keeley-modded one that sounds fantastic.

3. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

the sd1 is the most useuful od in boss lineup. i mean if stock its already ok. snip out C6, its better, do some more mods, it becomes good to great. my fave mod is the sd1 to fulldrive mod

4. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I like mine stock into my Wampler Ecstacy. Dont need the bass.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

I did the SD808 mod that's been floating around the net for years. It really opened that pedal up. I still don't like it in front of an old Fender but it's great pushing a Marshall or Ampeg.

AL

6. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

They really don't need to be modded But, that being said, there are some good sounding mods out there that make the pedal a monster. The allums Gt mod and Keeley mod do great things for the sd1 while retaining the original tonality.

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I did the C6 mod to mine and it was a definitive improvement. It has to be the easiest mod of all time, but it really made the pedal better IMO.

9. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

The SD-1 is one of the most useful test grounds for those venturing into pedal mods. The stock units are cheap, there are multiple mods available, and they're pretty easy to do. They also sound vastly better than stock with even the simplest mods. I've still got a couple of SD-1's that I modded that sound better than most boutique overdrives out there.

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

The SD-1 is great as is except for the need for the bypass mod. That prevents the bleed through signal when the volume is turned up and the pedal is bypassed.

Does anybody have a quick refernce for just that mod in fact? I have a new SD-1 and would like to do that mod to it.

11. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I collected Boss for a while and kept a handful of choice pieces including a pristine '80s MIJ SD-1 with the box/manual. I've been using boutique drives for so long I'd forgotten what a Boss drive sounds like with my rig.

I pulled the SD-1 out a couple weeks ago thinking about selling it and was stunned how good it sounds stock. I'm not sure what, if anything, changed between the MIJ and later editions. Would a mod make any difference on the earlier pedals, or is it meant to restore something lost as a the circuit changed over time?

12. castillogm

castillogm Member

My SD-1 (stock) paired with a Bass Big Muff or Fulldrive 2 gives me an infinite palette of tones.

I like to place it before the BBM or FD2, I found that it actually gives more character and clarity to the following pedal (mids-hump, maybe?)

So yeah... it always comes back to my pedalboard, and it's my 'always on' pedal.

13. guitardudeness

guitardudeness Member

I scored a Japan "skinny knob" version a while back and did some research. Apparently they have not changed the circuit. The current sounds/is the same as the first run.

Speaking of improving this already solid pedal, anyone checked out the new Waza SD1?

14. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

i also clipped out c6. gave it that little bit more bite that i wanted from it. still sounds grand as a boost into a lead channel.

15. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I swear by my old mij sd1 as a pedal to push other dirt pedals - it makes average sounding dirt boxes sound glorious

16. snow and steel

the old MIJ ones always sounded slightly clearer to my ears - I think its because of higher quality components.

If you use it solely as a lead boost, you may not want any mods, and as collectable as the MIJ's are you may not want to mod it for that reason alone.

Now a Taiwan version will benefit from upgraded parts, and since they are so cheap used then modding one is on big deal, plus its always easy to out it back if you don't like it.

Just my 2 kopeks.

17. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Supporting Member

True dat...I have a stock '85 and a newer one that I gave an Allums GT mod. I prefer the stock one. The Allums mod sounds cool, but takes away what makes the SD-1 special.

18. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the club! I'd say it's a perfect reading for people who like modded Boss pedals but don't believe caps really matter. :)
    I think modded SD-1 is a great OD, on par with many boutique pedals. Unique bargain for the
    money.
    Don't forget there are more caps to be changed. And I'd better put 470 pF to C6 instead of leaving it cut off.

19. snow and steel

What other caps and why?

Why put a 470 pF in C6?

I'm at a loss here.

20. dllb

dllb Member

How did you determine the MIJ has higher quality components that the others?