1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

modded sd-1 vs Bad Monkey

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kaiser, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I know that in a stock comparison the Bad Monkey would be a better choice, but what about a modded SD-1 vs stock BM??

I'm thinking of getting a SD-1 AnalogMan modded with push/pull pot for both, asymmetrical and symmetrical clipping.

2. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I am partial to modded SD-1's. I have two SD-1's in my setup. I did both the mods from www.monteallums.com One has the germanium diode swap, and the other removes the diode in favor of a jumper for symmetrical clipping. For me, there is a barely noticeable difference between the two. They both sound great and are a HUGE improvement over the stock versions.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

thanks, that's good to hear

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

anyone else?

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I have a Keeley 5star modded SD1 and it takes a big crap on the Bad Monkey AFAIC.

The Bad Monkey is a really cool pedal for the money but it doesn't compare to the sound of the SD1 after Robert has had his way with it IMO.

6. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I did a side by side comparison between a Munky and an SD-1 that had "Keeley" mods performed to it by someone who is very competent in this area.

IMO the Munky was the clear winner. Smoother, less high end fizz and more versatile. I sold the SD-1 and kept the Munky.

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

If you hear high end fizz than your "Keeley" sounds nothing like mine :)

8. Erik

Erik Member

I had both...they are different pedals. My Keeley modded SD-1 had a great tone, but that mid hump was always present to a degree. The stock tone of the Bad Monkey isn't quite as good, but the seperate bass and treble controls really help shape it better. I just sold my Bad Monkey...and I'll probably sell the SD-1 in the near future....I don't have a use for them.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have two modded SD1s, one "sivler mod" from Analog Man and one I modded. AlthoughI like the AM better, they both IMO are better than a stock Bad Monkey.

10. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Mine wasn't actually modded by Keeley so maybe that made the difference but I just couldn't tame the high end in my SD-1. It's funny how things sound different to different people. :)

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

what about the 12 volts DC adaptor??

should I rethink it and get another OD pedal for the price?