• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Modder Wanted. Need to mod my 5150 III Footswitch. Help!

chaoslex

I just got my Fender 5150 III 50watt head and love it!

However I use a GT3 (yes its old) for clean effects only. So for channel 1 (clean) I need the Effects loop ON always and for 2 (crunch) and 3 (distortion) I need the Effects loop OFF.

Right now if Effects switch is on it stays on no matter which channel I select. This is a pain for when I need quick switch from Clean to Crunch/Distortion.

So I need to mod it. I have know how and tools of soldering and wiring.
If anyone could help. Maybe take the pic and draw up ideas? Thanks!

I know I could get a midi pedal. But just wondering if there is a mod too.

http://www.chaostheoryband.com/lex/EVH_5150III_Footswitch_Schematics.pdf

http://www.chaostheoryband.com/lex/EVH_5150III_Footswitch_Schematics.pdf (direct link)

Inside of the 4 button footswitch

Geosh

That isn't a simple problem...

With a step on the channel 1 switch you want it to switch the channel and the effects loop on. Not a problem.

Then switching to channel 2, you want to switch the channel and the effects loop off. No biggy.

Now turning to channel 3, you only want to switch the channel and not the effects loop.... Unless you are switching from channel 1 to 3, then you want it to switch the effects loop too. Problem.

I don't think you are going to be able to do it with a simple mod. There is no way to simply install logic so the circuit would know when or not to switch the effects loop. You would probably need to get a programmable controller, which I am pretty sure I have seen out there.

chaoslex

That isn't a simple problem...

With a step on the channel 1 switch you want it to switch the channel and the effects loop on. Not a problem.

Then switching to channel 2, you want to switch the channel and the effects loop off. No biggy.

Now turning to channel 3, you only want to switch the channel and not the effects loop.... Unless you are switching from channel 1 to 3, then you want it to switch the effects loop too. Problem.

I don't think you are going to be able to do it with a simple mod. There is no way to simply install logic so the circuit would know when or not to switch the effects loop. You would probably need to get a programmable controller, which I am pretty sure I have seen out there.
Thank you for getting back to me. What you said made a lot of sense and after googling for a bit I see all people who want this control resort to a midi controller in which thankfully the 5150III has support for :) I think I am ordering a Midi Moose as its the closest to a footswitch I've seen.

Again thank you! Very insightful

Trending Topics

Top Bottom