Modding a Laney LC-15R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by qcounsel, Jul 8, 2010.

1. qcounsel

qcounsel Member

Hello!

I've got a Laney LC15R at home, have already done some mods to it previously when the tranny blew - my fault for using a 5A fuse when it said 0.5A or something.

In any event, I've already replaced the tubes with recommendations from DougTubes, changed the tranny, and I believe the caps have been replaced as well.

I've been reading up, and it appears that this is one amp that is quite popular for modders to work with, so I'm open to suggestions. Here are the changes / mods I've seen:

1) Stand-by switch
    Q: Is this necessary? Would I derive any tonal benefits? My laney seems to warm up fairly quickly, as I tend to turn the amp on first before playing anyway.

2) Some Penthod / Triode Thing toggle switch
    Q: what's this?

3) Speaker upgrade
    I like the way the amp sounds actually, pretty sweet overdrive when the tubes are pushed. However, the amp does sound pretty boxy and so I believe an upgrade here is in order. An option is to buy a 10 inch speaker. However, as I'm concerned about the boxyness so, this may not solve the problem - still 10 inch!

The alternative is to get an extension cab with a 12 inch speaker. I see vox has a nice v112 extension cabinet which ain't too pricey, anyone with thoughts about this? And this brings me to my next point...

4) Converting the LC-15R into a head.
    I'm open to this option, but what does it involve? Would be expensive to house the guts of the amp in an amp head (I suppose I could email Nik from Ceriatone to see if he's got a suitable chassis)?

I like the way it sounds when its pushed, so I was thinking of maxing the gain / vol on this amp for a natural amp distortion / overdrive, thus using an amp selector to toggle between this and my JCM2000 for dirty/clean. However, my concern is whether doing this would speed up the tube decay and that of my transformer, if so, how much faster?

My other concern is whether a head-version of the LC-15R would be able to power a regular 2x12 Cab (This option may be on the cards, esp if I take this baby out for gigs).

5) Any other mods?

I'm not interested in getting another amp - I already have one. But as this is my first tube-amp and I played a couple of memorable (if not bizarre) gigs with this amp, I'd like to keep it. Not to mention the fact that it sounds pretty good to me as it is!

2. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Cool little amps, imo. Like the baby brother to the LH50 and LC50, both which I've owned and played a lot.

If it's got an HH speaker, I'd replace that, but would choose a replacement carefully. Actually an Emi Ragin Cajun might be suited well to that amp. mmm, looking, seems they now come with a Cel speaker, so I guess that's ok.

While cutting it down to a head would be tempting, it wouldn't be as versatile, as if you plop the small amp on top of a bigger ext cab and run a speaker out to it, but careful of matching ohms. Would be easy to just have the one jack for onboard or outboard cab. That's the first thing I'd do, run it through at least a 1x12. It would push a quad cab just fine. But as a small combo, it could still be very handy for grab n go or just jamming or recording at home.

A Standby switch isn't that needed, imo. Just turn the amp volume to zero a few minutes before shutting it down or taking a break.

I'd research your tubes, but wouldn't obsess over them if you like the sound now. Sovtek makes a good EL84, imo, and that's what Laney's prolly using. I'd consider your preamp tubes, especially V1.. dunno how many it has. And I don't know what they're putting in there these days. But to mod the sound, that alone could make a big difference. I wound up using a Jan/Sylv/Phillips 12ax7 in all my Laney's V1. Warms up the overdrive and smooths the spike in Laney's clean.

Good luck with it. Laney gets little love here, but I've never owned a bad one. LC15 is a kickin little amp.

3. Unabender

Unabender Member

Honestly? Get an extension cabinet. Just like the previous poster stated, if the speaker is an HH, you might try a different "10 speaker in it.

I would not mod the amp at all or try to convert it to a head. It's pretty cool as is.

EDIT: If you're looking for more volume on gigs, the extension cabinet may or may not help. It depends on a lot of factors like micing, what kind of music you play etc.

4. qcounsel

qcounsel Member

Strangely enough, the speakers in my amp are actually Celestion V10-40s. I'm not too familiar with them, but I suppose its better than the Invaders (unless these are the invaders)... Looks like i should consider an extension cab then!

5. strtdv

strtdv Member

I used to have one of those. I sold it and bought a Laney Lionheart. Best mod I ever did.