modding a phase 90

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by royd, Jul 30, 2006.

1. royd

royd Member

Friends,

I just traded for a modern phase 90 and it really is unuseable for me as it is. I'm trying to decide whether just removing the R28 is enough (or putting it on a switch) or if I also should remove the C11 & C12? And if I remove the C11 & 12, what happens if I still put the R28 on a switch? What do you all think? Is there anything else I should change while in there?
    thanks

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

When I had one a few years ago, I just did the R28 mod. Completely removed. Made a WORLD of difference. You could always unsolder the R28 incase you like it better back on there (doubt it) or want to install a switch at a later date (possibly?).

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I just did the R28 mod with a Keyboarder's 90 and it made it sound a lot nicer even for guitar. Then he did the two caps and now it's really sweet, go all the way!!

4. royd

royd Member

here's what I've found online...

1) Removing the Pre and De-emphasis will result in a slightly higher noise
    floor while raising the headroom at 1.3Khz +3dB and 7.2Khz +12dB. Procedure:
    Remove C11 (.01MF) and C12 (680PF).
    2) Removing the feedback around the Phaser circuit will diminish
    regeneration. This will result in a mellower effect, reduce the midrange
    frequency response, and sound more like the earlier SCRIPT MXR Phase 90s.
    Procedure: Remove R28 (24K).
    3) For lowering the overall effect output change R7 from 150K to a 100K
    or -3dB reduction, R7 150K to a for -2dB reduction. This modification
    should only be done in conjunction with modification #1.

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

has anyone tried, or heard, these mods on an EVH Phase 90? if so, what effect does it have?

6. royd

royd Member

OK... I found some more ino over at aron's stompbox that includes other changes to make the pedal an exact replica of the script logo...
    http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=37893.0
    That was more than I felt I needed to do at this point so I removed the r28, c11, & c12. My plan was to unsolder one end so I could reattach them later if I wanted. Well, it is tight in there. I ended up damaging the r28 and C12 so going back would be a little more complicated. Doesn't matter though. I love the pedal now. it is much sweeter, not honky, unity gain (which I wanted)... good all of the way around. I didn't move the trim pot at all because it didn't feel as if I need to.
    All in all, it made a pedal that I would never use a part of my signal chain. :AOK

7. royd

royd Member

if you can get something in there to cut them, I think so. If not, desoldering them may be easier than cutting.