• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Modding a Standard Strat to Deluxe Specs

Gear91

I have an american standard strat (2007) that I want to upgrade with locking tuners and the bridge with the pop in tremolo arm that are standard on the deluxe strats. Does anyone know if this is an easy mod and, if so, where I could get the tuners and bridge?

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
The tuners are available from Fender dealers (easily found online) although it will take some drilling to install them. The pop-in arm raises some challenges. For a true pop in arm you would need to replace the entire bridge (i.e. Gotoh 510FT-1W). Another option would be to replace the trem block on your existing trem with a Callaham block and use his "virtual pop-in" arm. It still has threads but the trem works fine if you just pop the arm in. It's makes a noticeable improvement in sustain and note clarity as well, especially if you go all the way and use his bent steel saddles as well.

http://www.beyondeleven.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Fender-Tuners-099-0818-100

http://www.allparts.com/store/guitar-bridges-modern-tremolos-sb-5330-010,Product.asp

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm#block_chart

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
You can install Sperzel locking tuners...no drilling required. The Callaham hardware is hard to beat....top shelf, I would also upgrade the electronics with an RS upgrade kit. I did all this to my American Standard Strat and the sound improved tremendously. I also replaced the neck with a Warmouth soft V compound radius, maple neck with a maple fret board.....Good Luck with your project. I Almost forgot, I also replaced the pickups with Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots and Installed a Suhr SSCBP to eliminate the 60 cycle hum......Its now a KILLER STRAT!!!

Gear91

Is it easy to replace the bridge? Does it just pop out once the springs are removed? Is any drilling required? Thanks.

rabbuhl

I am thinking about doing the same to the used Fender I just bought. I noticed that Acme has a lot of deluxe parts. I would like to replace the tuners and the bridge.
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Stratocaster_American_Series_C201.cfm

I am not sure whether to replace the nut with a rolling nut like the one found on a deluxe. The pickups are going to be either Fralin Vintage Hot, Franlin Blues Special, or Fender 57/62. Let us know where you get the parts.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Can someone comment on the Callaham pop-in arm?

The play on my stock American Standard drives me nuts. I put a bit of masking tape in there just to keep it from moving without me cranking it. It's obviously not a good solution.

Does the Callaham bridge remove play?

Gear91

Can someone comment on the Callaham pop-in arm?

The play on my stock American Standard drives me nuts. I put a bit of masking tape in there just to keep it from moving without me cranking it. It's obviously not a good solution.

Does the Callaham bridge remove play?
I would say the stock bridge on the american deluxe should do the trick as well. That's probably what I am going for.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Can the Schallers be installed without drilling?
There are serveral kinds of Schaller locking tuners - as long as you get the ones called "Fender/Schaller Tuners" you shouldn't need to drill anything.

Gear91

for what you're going to spend in time and money, you might as well sell it and buy a deluxe :huh
I disagree. I only paid $599 for it and the deluxe bridge and shaller tuners will only run about $200. Plus the body is nice and light, the way I like them, and its olympic white, which I want and is not easy to find-not sure they make deluxes in white.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
This is the Deluxe bridge, as someone pointed out.
Ouch. Looks like the Callaham block is the better buy.

However, I like my "dark" strat sound and I'm afraid a solid chunk of steel is going to add undue brightness. Am I being paranoid?

Gear91

Why is the callaham block a better buy than the deluxe bridge? Also, if I replaced the standard block with the callaham block but kept the standard bridge, would I still be able to use a pop in arm?

Ouch. Looks like the Callaham block is the better buy.

However, I like my "dark" strat sound and I'm afraid a solid chunk of steel is going to add undue brightness. Am I being paranoid?

John C

Gold Supporting Member
And I prefer LSR nuts - not sure if the Deluxe comes with that these days, but it used to. You DO have to cut up your nut slot a little to fit that though...
The HSS version of the American Deluxe does still come with the LSR nut; however, I don't think you can get the locking trem like on your Ultra any more.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Why is the callaham block a better buy than the deluxe bridge? Also, if I replaced the standard block with the callaham block but kept the standard bridge, would I still be able to use a pop in arm?
Block is 60 bucks and you can use your existing plate and arm. It will still pop-in.
I'm concerned about brightness, though.

Foster

I've got a 2001 MIM Standard and a 1998 Am. Deluxe and both have a small "low mass" trem block.

My American strat sustains all day.....I mean it's really crazy long for a strat.

I tend to think other factors besides the block give you more sustain.....ash body, better saddles, etc.

You might want to swap saddles first and see how much of an improvement that makes.

Edited to add: My Am. Deluxe does have a blocked trem...this helped too.

Trending Topics